Tax Incentives in The Philippines: A Regional Perspective
The Philippines is faced with a policy dilemma in the area of corporate taxation. On the one hand, the country has, over the past few years, witnessed a decline in revenue as a share of output. On the other, it is operating in an increasingly competitive regional market for foreign direct investment. In order to remain competitive, the Philippines offers a broad array of fiscal incentives to entice inward investment and pursue the country's development goals. This paper looks at the fiscal incentives available in the Philippines, compares them with those available in the ASEAN region, and with the evidence on the efficacy of tax incentives in a global context. The paper provides some broad conclusions on the use of the various forms of tax incentives in the Philippines and on their administration.
|Date of creation:||01 Nov 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ching-huei Chang & Peter W. H. Cheng, 1992. "Tax Policy and Foreign Direct Investment in Taiwan," NBER Chapters, in: The Political Economy of Tax Reform, NBER-EASE Volume 1, pages 315-338 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter K. Clark, 1993. "Tax Incentives and Equipment Investment," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 24(1), pages 317-347.
- Michael J. Boskin, 1987. "Tax Policy and the International Location of Investment," NBER Chapters, in: Taxes and Capital Formation, pages 73-82 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shah, Anwar & Slemrod, Joel, 1991. "Do Taxes Matter for Foreign Direct Investment?," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 5(3), pages 473-91, September.
- Aldaba, Rafaelita M., 1994. "Foreign Direct Investment in the Philippines: A Reassessment," Research Paper Series RPS 1994-10, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Agarwal, Jamuna Prasad, 1986. "Home country incentives and FDI in ASEAN countries," Kiel Working Papers 258, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Chen, Jo-Hui, 1998. "The Effects of International Competition of Fiscal Incentives on Foreign Direct Investment," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 51(4), pages 497-516.
- Itagaki, Takao, 1979. "Theory of the Multinational Firm: An Analysis of Effects of Government Policies," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 20(2), pages 437-48, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:01/181. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.