Real Estate Market Developments and Financal Sector Soundness
This paper analyses the characteristics and functioning of real estate markets. It focuses on the relationship between developments in these markets and the financial sector to determine under what circumstances real estate booms and busts can develop and how they can affect the health and stability of the financial system. It concludes that unbalanced real estate price developments often contribute to financial sector distress and that trends in real estate markets should be monitored closely in the context of financial sector assessments.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nobuhiro Kiyotaki & John Moore, 1995.
NBER Working Papers
5083, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christoph Duenwald, 2000. "Property Prices and Speculative Bubbles; Evidence From Hong Kong SAR," IMF Working Papers 00/2, International Monetary Fund.
- Paul Louis Ceriel Hilbers, 1998. "Financial Sector Reform and Monetary Policy in the Netherlands," IMF Working Papers 98/19, International Monetary Fund.
- Palle S. Andersen & Neale Kennedy, 1994. "Household saving and real house prices: an international perspective," BIS Working Papers 20, Bank for International Settlements.
- Englund, P. & Ioannides, Y.M., 1996.
"House Price Dynamics: An International Empirical Perspective,"
1996-01, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Englund, Peter & Ioannides, Yannis M., 1997. "House Price Dynamics: An International Empirical Perspective," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 119-136, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999.
"The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems,"
14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Paul Louis Ceriel Hilbers & Alfredo Mario Leone & Mahinder Singh Gill & Owen Evens, 2000. "Macroprudential Indicators of Financial System Soundness," IMF Occasional Papers 192, International Monetary Fund.
- Hossein Samiei & Garry J. Schinasi, 1994. "Real Estate Price Inflation, Monetary Policy, and Expectations in the United States and Japan," IMF Working Papers 94/12, International Monetary Fund.
- Marcus Miller & Pongsak Luangaram, 1998.
"Financial Crisis in East Asia: Bank Runs, Asset Bubbles and Antidotes,"
CSGR Working papers series
11/98, Centre for the Study of Globalisation and Regionalisation (CSGR), University of Warwick.
- Marcus Miller & Pongsak Luangaram, 1998. "Financial crisis in East Asia: bank runs, asset bubbles and antidotes," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 165(1), pages 66-82, July.
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 2000. "Bubbles and Crises," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(460), pages 236-55, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:01/129. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.