Subsidy Reforms and Poverty Alleviation
This paper presents a general framework for characterizing the optimal pattern of subsidies for poverty alleviation under budgetary constraints and suggests possible reforms for the existing pattern of subsidies. The government may subsidize or tax goods in order to meet its objectives. The paper introduces the concept of a consumer equilibrium and shows that there are cases of equilibria in which reforms can generate not only fiscal savings but also Pareto improve the welfare of both poor and wealthy consumers.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ehtisham Ahmad & Luc E. Leruth, 2000. "Indonesia; Implementing National Policies in a Decentralized Context: Special Purpose Programs to Protect the Poor," IMF Working Papers 00/102, International Monetary Fund.
- Jaskold Gabszewicz, Jean & Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1986.
"Segmenting the market: The monopolist's optimal product mix,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 273-289, August.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & SHAKED, Avner & SUTTON, John & THISSE, Jacques-François, . "Segmenting the market: the monopolist's optimal product mix," CORE Discussion Papers RP -707, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Schwartz, Gerd & Clements, Benedict, 1999. " Government Subsidies," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(2), pages 119-47, April.
- Besley, T. & Coate, S., 1989.
"Public Provision Of Private Goods And The Redistribution Of Income,"
36, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Discussion Paper.
- Besley, Timothy & Coate, Stephen, 1991. "Public Provision of Private Goods and the Redistribution of Income," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 979-84, September.
- Alderman, Harold & Lindert, Kathy, 1998. "The Potential and Limitations of Self-Targeted Food Subsidies," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 213-29, August.
- Chander, Parkash & Leruth, Luc, 1989.
"The optimal product mix for a monopolist in the presence of congestion effects : A model and some results,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 437-449, December.
- Chander, Parkash & Leruth, Luc., 1988. "The Optimal Product-Mix for a Monopolist in the Presence of Congestion Effect: A Model and Some Results," Working Papers 673, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Gupta, Sanjeev & Mahler, Walter, 1995. "Taxation of petroleum products : Theory and empirical evidence," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 101-116, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:01/126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.