Rethinking Macro Policy II; Getting Granular
This note explores how the economic thinking about macroeconomic management has evolved since the crisis began. It discusses developments in monetary policy, including unconventional measures; the challenges associated with increased public debt; and the policy potential, risks, and institutional challenges associated with new macroprudential measures. Rationale: The note contributes to the ongoing debate on several aspects of macroeconomic policy. It follows up on the earlier “Rethinking” paper, refining the analysis in light of the events of the past two years. Given the relatively fluid state of the debate (e.g., recent challenges to central bank independence), it is useful to highlight that while many of the tenets of the pre-crisis consensus have been challenged, others (such as the desirability of central bank independence) remain valid.
|Date of creation:||15 Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alisdair McKay & Ricardo Reis, 2013.
"The Role of Automatic Stabilizers in the U.S. Business Cycle,"
NBER Working Papers
19000, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McKay, Alisdair & Reis, Ricardo, 2013. "The role of automatic stabilizers in the U.S. business cycle," CEPR Discussion Papers 9454, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jinjarak, Y & Noy, I & Zheng, H, 2012.
"Capital Controls in Brazil: Stemming a Tide with a Signal?,"
Working Paper Series
2391, Victoria University of Wellington, School of Economics and Finance.
- Jinjarak, Yothin & Noy, Ilan & Zheng, Huanhuan, 2013. "Capital controls in Brazil – Stemming a tide with a signal?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 2938-2952.
- Yothin Jinjarak & Ilan Noy & Huanhuan Zheng, 2013. "Capital Controls in Brazil - Stemming a Tide with a Signal?," NBER Working Papers 19205, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yothin Jinjarak & Ilan Noy & Huanhuan Zheng, 2012. "Capital Controls in Brazil – Stemming a Tide with a Signal," Working Papers 201213, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & M. Belen Sbrancia, 2011.
"The Liquidation of Government Debt,"
BIS Working Papers
363, Bank for International Settlements.
- Carmen M. & M. Belen Sbrancia, 2011. "The Liquidation of Government Debt," Working Paper Series WP11-10, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & M. Belen Sbrancia, 2011. "The Liquidation of Government Debt," NBER Working Papers 16893, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roberto Perotti, 2012.
"The "Austerity Myth": Gain without Pain?,"
in: Fiscal Policy after the Financial Crisis, pages 307-354
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marcos Chamon & Marcio Garcia, 2013. "Capital controls in Brazil: effective?," Textos para discussão 606, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Claudio Borio & Ilhyock Shim, 2007. "What can (macro-)prudential policy do to support monetary policy?," BIS Working Papers 242, Bank for International Settlements.
- Roberto Perotti, 2011. "The "Austerity Myth": Gain without Pain?," Working Papers 430, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Patrick A. Imam & Erlend Nier & Luis Ignacio JÃ¡come, 2012. "Building Blocks for Effective Macroprudential Policies in Latin America: Institutional Considerations," IMF Working Papers 12/183, International Monetary Fund.
- Perotti, Roberto, 2011. "The "Austerity Myth": Gain without Pain?," CEPR Discussion Papers 8658, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roberto Perotti, 2011. "The "Austerity myth": Gain Without Pain?," BIS Working Papers 362, Bank for International Settlements.
- repec:mtp:titles:026201761x-01 is not listed on IDEAS
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Pau Rabanal & Christopher W. Crowe & Deniz Igan, 2011. "Policies for Macrofinancial Stability; Options to Deal with Real Estate Booms," IMF Staff Discussion Notes 11/02, International Monetary Fund.
- Bas B. Bakker & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Luc Laeven & JÃ©rÃ´me Vandenbussche & Deniz Igan & Hui Tong, 2012. "Policies for Macrofinancial Stability; How to Deal with Credit Booms," IMF Staff Discussion Notes 12/06, International Monetary Fund.
- Blanchard, Olivier, 2012. "Monetary Policy in the Wake of the Crisis," MIT Press Book Chapters, in: In the Wake of the Crisis: Leading Economists Reassess Economic Policy, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 1, pages 7-13 The MIT Press.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfsdn:13/003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.