The Effectiveness of Capital Controls and Prudential Policies in Managing Large Inflows
Staff Discussion Notes showcase the latest policy-related analysis and research being developed by individual IMF staff and are published to elicit comment and to further debate. These papers are generally brief and written in nontechnical language, and so are aimed at a broad audience interested in economic policy issues. This Web-only series replaced Staff Position Notes in January 2011.
|Date of creation:||05 Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sebastian Edwards, 1999.
"How Effective are Capital Controls?,"
NBER Working Papers
7413, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Montiel, Peter & Reinhart, Carmen M., 1999. "Do capital controls and macroeconomic policies influence the volume and composition of capital flows? Evidence from the 1990s," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 619-635, August.
- Nicolas E. Magud & Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2011.
"Capital Controls: Myth and Reality - A Portfolio Balance Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
16805, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicolas E. Magud E. & Carmen M. & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2011. "Capital Controls: Myth and Reality--A Portfolio Balance Approach," Working Paper Series WP11-7, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- repec:imf:imfwpa:11/281 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bruno Coelho & Kevin Gallagher, 2010. "Capital Controls and 21st Century Financial Crises: Evidence from Colombia and Thailand," Working Papers wp213, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- De Gregorio, Jose & Edwards, Sebastian & Valdes, Rodrigo O., 2000.
"Controls on capital inflows: do they work?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 59-83, October.
- Francisco A. Gallego F & Leonardo Hernández, 2003.
"Microeconomic Effects of Capital Controls: The Chilean Experience During the 1990s,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
203, Central Bank of Chile.
- Francisco A. Gallego & F. Leonardo Hernández, 2003. "Microeconomic effects of capital controls: The chilean experience during the 1990s," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(3), pages 225-253.
- Campion, Mary Kathryn & Neumann, Rebecca M., 2004. "Compositional effects of capital controls: evidence from Latin America," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 161-178, August.
- Cardenas, Mauricio & Barrera, Felipe, 1997. "On the effectiveness of capital controls: The experience of Colombia during the 1990s," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 27-57, October.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Smith, R. Todd, 1998.
"Too much of a good thing: The macroeconomic effects of taxing capital inflows,"
13234, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & R. Todd Smith, 1996. "Too much of a good thing: the macroeconomic effects of taxing capital inflows," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 436-464.
- Hyun Song Shin & Kwanho Shin, 2011. "Procyclicality and Monetary Aggregates," NBER Working Papers 16836, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- S. Narayan, 2009. "India," Chapters, in: The Political Economy of Trade Reform in Emerging Markets, chapter 7 Edward Elgar.
- Akira Ariyoshi & Andrei Kirilenko & Inci Ã–tker & Bernard Laurens & Jorge IvÃ¡n Canales Kriljenko & Karl Friedrich Habermeier, 2000. "Capital Controls; Country Experiences with Their Use and Liberalization," IMF Occasional Papers 190, International Monetary Fund.
- Hutchison, Michael & Kendall, Jake & Pasricha, Gurnain Kaur & Singh, Nirvikar, 2009.
"Indian Capital Control Liberalization: Evidence from NDF Markets,"
13630, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hutchison, Michael & Kendall, Jake & Pasricha, Gurnain & Singh, Nirvikar, 2009. "Indian capital control liberalization: Evidence from NDF markets," Working Papers 09/60, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Hutchison, Michael & Kendall, Jake & Pasricha, Gurnain & Singh, Nirvikar, 2010. "Indian Capital Control Liberalization: Evidence from NDF Markets," MPRA Paper 21771, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael Hutchison & Jake Kendall & Gurnain Pasricha & Nirvikar Singh, 2009. "Indian Capital Control Liberalization : Evidence from NDF Markets," Finance Working Papers 22971, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Edwards, Sebastian & Rigobon, Roberto, 2009. "Capital controls on inflows, exchange rate volatility and external vulnerability," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 256-267, July.
- Guonan Ma & RobertN McCauley, 2008. "Efficacy Of China'S Capital Controls: Evidence From Price And Flow Data," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 104-123, 02.
- Eliana Cardoso & Ilan Goldfajn, 1998. "Capital Flows to Brazil: The Endogeneity of Capital Controls," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(1), pages 161-202, March.
- David VÃ¡vra & Inci Ã–tker & Barry Topf & Zbigniew Polanski, 2007. "Coping with Capital Inflows: Experiences of Selected European Countries," IMF Working Papers 07/190, International Monetary Fund.
- Jonathan David Ostry & Atish R. Ghosh & Karl Friedrich Habermeier & Marcos Chamon & Mahvash Saeed Qureshi & Dennis B. S. Reinhardt, 2010. "Capital Inflows: The Role of Controls," IMF Staff Position Notes 2010/04, International Monetary Fund.
- Abhijit Sen Gupta, 2010.
"Management of International Capital Flows: The Indian Experience,"
Competence Centre on Money, Trade, Finance and Development
1003, Hochschule fuer Technik und Wirtschaft, Berlin.
- Sen Gupta, Abhijit, 2010. "Management of International Capital Flows: The Indian Experience," MPRA Paper 23747, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Levy Yeyati, Eduardo & Schmukler, Sergio L. & Van Horen, Neeltje, 2009. "International financial integration through the law of one price: The role of liquidity and capital controls," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 432-463, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfsdn:11/14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.