France; Financial Sector Assessment Programâ€”Technical Note on Housing Prices and Financial Stability
This technical note examines housing prices and financial stability in France. The note highlights that sharply rising housing prices have caused concerns about mortgage credit risk and the stability of the financial system, particularly if the macroeconomic environment were to deteriorate further. Franceâ€™s housing market proved resilient during the crisis, declining by about 9 percent from its precrisis peak before rebounding since mid-2009 to surpass its precrisis peak. This resilience has reflected a confluence of fundamental, macroeconomic, financial, and asset allocation factors that have caused the demand for housing to remain well in excess of supply.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Borgy, Vladimir & Clerc, Laurent & Renne, Jean-Paul, 2014. "Measuring aggregate risk: Can we robustly identify asset-price boom–bust cycles?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 132-150.
- Arrondel, L. & Savignac, F. & Tracol, K., 2011. "Wealth Effects on Consumption Plans: French Households in the Crisis," Working papers 344, Banque de France.
- Ferrara, L. & Koopman, S J., 2010. "Common business and housing market cycles in the Euro area from a multivariate decomposition," Working papers 275, Banque de France.
- Marcelo Pinheiro & Deniz O Igan, 2009. "Exposure to Real Estate Losses; Evidence from the US Banks," IMF Working Papers 09/79, International Monetary Fund.
- Pamfili Antipa & Rémy Lecat, 2013. "« Bulle immobilière » et politique d'octroi de crédits. Enseignements d'un modèle structurel du marché français de l'immobilier résidentiel," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(2), pages 163-187.
- Deniz O Igan & Heedon Kang, 2011. "Do Loan-To-Value and Debt-To-Income Limits Work? Evidence From Korea," IMF Working Papers 11/297, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfscr:13/184. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.