The use of working time-related crisis response measures during the Great Recession
In principle, two different types of working-time instruments were used to introduce working-time changes during the crisis. First, work-sharing schemes (with their country-specific institutional background and public subsidies); second, working-time adjustments based on unilateral or bilateral decisions taken at the level of the firm, with or without a framework of collective agreements, but in either case without public financial support. While the former have been studied extensively (Messenger and Ghosheh, 2013), the present report takes stock of working time-related crisis-response measures at the firm level beyond those supported by work-sharing schemes. It covers conventional instruments such as reductions of working time with or without financial compensation and variations in the use of overtime hours, but also more innovative approaches such as the use of working time accounts, “working- time corridors”1 and various other forms of changes in working-time organization, such as teleworking or compressed working weeks.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Conditions of work and employment series|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 4, route des Morillons, CH-1211 Geneva 22|
Web page: http://www.ilo.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Seifert, Hartmut, 2004. "Flexibility through working time accounts : reconciling economic efficiency and individual time requirements," WSI Discussion Papers 130, Hans-Böckler-Stiftung, Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaftliches Institut (WSI).
- Eichhorst, Werner & Marx, Paul & Pastore, José, 2011. "The Use of Flexible Measures to Cope with Economic Crises in Germany and Brazil," IZA Discussion Papers 6137, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gimpelson, Vladimir & Kapeliushnikov, Rostislav, 2011. "Labor Market Adjustment: Is Russia Different?," IZA Discussion Papers 5588, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Tulus T.H. Tambunan, 2011. "Crisis-Adjustment Strategies Adopted by SMEs in Coping with the 2008-2009 Global Economic Crisis: The Case of Indonesia," Asian Journal of Agriculture and Development, Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture, vol. 8(1), pages 57-77, June.
- Golden, Lonnie, 2012. "The effects of working time on productivity and firm performance : a research synthesis paper," ILO Working Papers 470847, International Labour Organization.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/11975 is not listed on IDEAS
- Glassner, Vera & Keune, Maarten, 2010. "Negotiating the crisis? : collective bargaining in Europe during the economic downturn," ILO Working Papers 454205, International Labour Organization.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ilo:ilowps:484127. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vesa Sivunen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.