Trade contraction in the global crisis : employment and inequality effects in India and South Africa
Estimates the effects of the 2008-09 trade contraction on employment and incomes in India and South Africa, using social accounting matrices (SAMs) in a Leontief multiplier model. Employment results are presented at aggregate and industry levels and examine gender and skills biases. Income results examine inequality at the level of rural and urban household income quintiles. The most notable finding is that India and South Africa experienced substantial employment and income declines as a result of trade contraction with the EU and the US. A large share of these declines occurred in the non-tradeable sector and resulted from income-induced effects, illustrating how a shock originated in the tradeable goods sector had strong ripple effects throughout India and South Africa.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Employment working paper series|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ilo.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dani Rodrik & Arvind Subramanian, 2005.
"From "Hindu Growth" to Productivity Surge: The Mystery of the Indian Growth Transition,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 52(2), pages 193-228, September.
- Dani Rodrik & Arvind Subramanian, 2004. "From "Hindu Growth" to Productivity Surge: The Mystery of the Indian Growth Transition," NBER Working Papers 10376, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodrik, Dani & Subramanian, Arvind, 2004. "From "Hindu Growth" to Productivity Surge: The Mystery of the Indian Growth Transition," Working Paper Series rwp04-013, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Rodrik, Dani & Subramanian, Arvind, 2004. "From 'Hindu Growth' to Productivity Surge: The Mystery of the Indian Growth Transition," CEPR Discussion Papers 4371, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dani Rodrik, 2006.
"Understanding South Africa's Economic Puzzles,"
NBER Working Papers
12565, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Christopher Otrok & Eswar Prasad, 2012.
"Global Business Cycles: Convergence Or Decoupling?,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 53(2), pages 511-538, 05.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Eswar Prasad & Christopher Otrok, 2008. "Global Business Cycles: Convergence or Decoupling?," IMF Working Papers 08/143, International Monetary Fund.
- Kose, M. Ayhan & Otrok, Christopher M. & Prasad, Eswar S., 2008. "Global business cycles: convergence or decoupling?," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2008,17, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Kose, M. Ayhan & Otrok, Christopher & Prasad, Eswar, 2008. "Global Business Cycles: Convergence or Decoupling?," IZA Discussion Papers 3442, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- M. Ayhan Kose & Christopher Otrok & Eswar S. Prasad, 2008. "Global Business Cycles: Convergence or Decoupling?," NBER Working Papers 14292, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Howard J. Shatz, 1994. "Trade and Jobs in Manufacturing," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 25(1), pages 1-84.
- Sébastien W�lti, 2012.
"The myth of decoupling,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(26), pages 3407-3419, September.
- Utsav Kumar & Prachi Mishra, 2008.
"Trade Liberalization and Wage Inequality: Evidence from India,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(2), pages 291-311, 05.
- Prachi Mishra & Utsav Kumar, 2005. "Trade Liberalization and Wage Inequality: Evidence From India," IMF Working Papers 05/20, International Monetary Fund.
- Adrian Wood, 1995. "How Trade Hurt Unskilled Workers," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 57-80, Summer.
- Arvind Subramanian & Gunnar Jonsson, 2000.
"Dynamic Gains From Trade: Evidence From South Africa,"
IMF Working Papers
00/45, International Monetary Fund.
- By Gunnar Jonsson & Arvind Subramanian, 2001. "Dynamic Gains from Trade: Evidence from South Africa," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(1), pages 8.
- World Bank, 2010. "Global Economic Prospects 2010 : Crisis, Finance, and Growth," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2415.
- Anne O. KRUEGER, 2008. "The Role of Trade and International Economic Policy in Indian Economic Performance," Asian Economic Policy Review, Japan Center for Economic Research, vol. 3(2), pages 266-285.
- Gaurav Khanna & David Newhouse & Pierella Paci, 2010.
"Fewer Jobs or Smaller Paychecks? Labor Market Impacts of the Recent Crisis in Middle-Income Countries,"
World Bank Other Operational Studies
10197, The World Bank.
- Khanna, Gaurav & Newhouse, David & Paci, Pierella, 2010. "Fewer Jobs or Smaller Paychecks? Labor Market Impacts of the Recent Crisis in Middle-Income Countries," World Bank - Economic Premise, The World Bank, issue 11, pages 1-4, April.
- Soyoung Kim & Jong‐Wha Lee & Cyn‐Young Park, 2011.
"Emerging Asia: Decoupling or Recoupling,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(1), pages 23-53, 01.
- Leung, Ron & Stampini, Marco & Vencatachellum, Désiré, 2009. "Does Human Capital Protect Workers against Exogenous Shocks? South Africa in the 2008-2009 Crisis," IZA Discussion Papers 4608, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Wood Júnior, Thomaz, 1995. "Workers," RAE - Revista de Administração de Empresas, FGV-EAESP Escola de Administração de Empresas de São Paulo (Brazil), vol. 35(2), January.
- Pula, Gabor & Peltonen, Tuomas A., 2009. "Has emerging Asia decoupled? An analysis of production and trade linkages using the Asian international input-output table," Working Paper Series 0993, European Central Bank.
- repec:esr:resser:rs012 is not listed on IDEAS
- Menon, Nidhiya & Rodgers, Yana van der Meulen, 2009. "International Trade and the Gender Wage Gap: New Evidence from India's Manufacturing Sector," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 965-981, May.
- Athukorala, Prema-chandra & Kohpaiboon, Archanun, 2009.
"Intra-Regional Trade in East Asia: The Decoupling Fallacy, Crisis, and Policy Challenges,"
ADBI Working Papers
177, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Archanun Kohpaiboon, 2009. "Intra-Regional Trade in East Asia: The Decoupling Fallacy, Crisis, and Policy Challenges," Departmental Working Papers 2009-09, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ilo:ilowps:459401. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vesa Sivunen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.