The social dimension of globalization : a review of the literature
Reviews the key economic characteristics of the globalization process and examines its impact on employment, poverty, inequality, global insecurity, child labour, gender issues and migration. Explores national and international policy responses, highlighting the importance of trade negotiations and the financial architecture.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Working paper :|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 4, route des Morillons, CH-1211 Geneva 22|
Web page: http://www.ilo.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Murshed, S.M., 2000. "Globalization, Marginalization and Development," Research Paper 175, World Institute for Development Economics Research.
- Nancy H. Chau & Ravi Kanbur, 2006.
"The Race to the Bottom, from the Bottom,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 73(290), pages 193-228, 05.
- Chau, Nancy H & Kanbur, Ravi, 2001. "The Race To the Bottom, From the Bottom," CEPR Discussion Papers 2687, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chau, Nancy H. & Kanbur, Ravi, 2000. "The Race to the Bottom, From the Bottom," Working Papers 127681, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Pavcnik, Nina & Blom, Andreas & Goldberg, Pinelopi & Schady, Norbert, 2003. "Trade liberalization and labor market adjustment in Brazil," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2982, The World Bank.
- Drusilla K. Brown & Alan V. Deardorff & Robert M Stern, 2002.
"The Effects of Multinational Production on Wages and Working Conditions in Developing Countries,"
486, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Drusilla K. Brown & Alan Deardorff & Robert Stern, 2004. "The Effects of Multinational Production on Wages and Working Conditions in Developing Countries," NBER Chapters, in: Challenges to Globalization: Analyzing the Economics, pages 279-330 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Drusilla K. Brown & Alan V. Deardorff & Robert M Stern, 2002. "The Effects of Multinational Production on Wages and Working Conditions in Developing Countries," Working Papers 483, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Drusilla K. Brown & Alan V. Deardorff & Robert M. Stern, 2003. "The Effects of Multinational Production on Wages and Working Conditions in Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 9669, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Branko Milanovic, 2003.
"CAN WE DISCERN THE EFFECT OF GLOBALIZATION ON INCOME DISTRIBUTION? Evidence from Household Budget Surveys,"
- Milanovic, Branko, 2002. "Can we discern the effect of globalization on income distribution? evidence from household budget surveys," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2876, The World Bank.
- Gary S. Becker & Tomas J. Philipson & Rodrigo R. Soares, 2005.
"The Quantity and Quality of Life and the Evolution of World Inequality,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(1), pages 277-291, March.
- Gary S. Becker & Tomas J. Philipson & Rodrigo R. Soares, 2003. "The Quantity and Quality of Life and the Evolution of World Inequality," NBER Working Papers 9765, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cigno, Alessandro & Rosati, Furio C. & Guarcello, Lorenzo, 2002.
"Does Globalisation Increase Child Labour?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
470, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jonathan Perraton, 2012. "Globalization," Chapters, in: Handbook of Critical Issues in Finance, chapter 20, pages i-ii Edward Elgar Publishing.
- repec:ilo:ilowps:338944 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cornia, Giovanni Andrea & Kiiski, Sampsa, 2001. "Trends in Income Distribution in the Post-World War II Period Evidence and Interpretation," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- White, B.N.F., 1996. "Globalization and the child labour problem," ISS Working Papers - General Series 18923, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Tzannatos, Zafiris, 1999. "Women and Labor Market Changes in the Global Economy: Growth Helps, Inequalities Hurt and Public Policy Matters," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 551-569, March.
- Singh, A. & Dhumale, R., 2000. "Globalization, Technology, and Income Inequality: A Critical Analysis," Research Paper 210, World Institute for Development Economics Research.
- Ian Gough, 2001. "Globalization and regional welfare regimes: the East Asian case," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 43959, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- François Bourguignon & Christian Morrisson, 2002.
"Inequality Among World Citizens: 1820-1992,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 92(4), pages 727-744, September.
- Kenneth Scheve & Matthew Slaughter, 2002. "Economic Insecurity and the Globalization of Production," NBER Working Papers 9339, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Keith Griffin & Azizur Rahman Khan & Carl Riskin, 1999. "Income Distribution in Urban China during the Period of Economic Reform and Globalization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 296-300, May.
- Bourguignon, Francois & Coyle, Diane & Fernàndez, Raquel & Giavazzi, Francesco & Marin, Dalia & O’Rourke, Kevin & Portes, Richard & Seabright, Paul & Venables, Anthony & Verdier, Thierry & Winters, L., . "Making Sense of Globalization: A Guide to the Economic Issues," Monographs in Economics, University of Munich, Department of Economics, number 20240, December.
- Carlton G. Davis & Clive Y. Thomas & William A. Amponsah, 2001. "Globalization and Poverty: Lessons from the Theory and Practice of Food Security," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 714-721.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ilo:ilowps:371237. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vesa Sivunen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.