Occupational segmentation by sex in the world
Reviews recent empirical studies measuring the extent of occupational segregation by sex and the patterns of segregation across countries. The empirical studies cover nine OECD countries, as well as Cyprus, Israel, Malaysia, Peru, Puerto Rico, Singapore, USSR, Sudan and Taiwan.
|Length:||95 P. pages|
|Date of creation:||1993|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Equality for women in employment: an interdepartmental project; working paper series|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ilo.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erica L. Groshen, 1991.
"The Structure of the Female/Male Wage Differential: Is It Who You Are, What You Do, or Where You Work?,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 26(3), pages 457-472.
- Erica L. Groshen, 1987. "The structure of the female/male wage differential: is it who you are, what you do, or where you work?," Working Paper 8708, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Randall S. Brown & Marilyn Moon & Barbara S. Zoloth, 1980. "Incorporating Occupational Attainment in Studies of Male-Female Earnings Differentials," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 15(1), pages 3-28.
- Randy P. Albelda, 1986. "Occupational segregation by race and gender, 1958û1981," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 39(3), pages 404-411, April.
- Silber, Jacques G., 1989. "On the measurement of employment segregation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 237-243, September.
- Hutchens, Robert M., 1991. "Segregation curves, Lorenz curves, and inequality in the distribution of people across occupations," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 31-51, February.
- Gregory, Paul R & Kohlhase, Janet E, 1988. "The Earnings of Soviet Workers: Evidence from the Soviet Interview Project," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(1), pages 23-35, February.
- Victor R. Fuchs, 1975. "A Note on Sex Segregation in Professional Occupations," NBER Chapters, in: Explorations in Economic Research, Volume 2, number 1, pages 105-111 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Miller, Paul W, 1987. "The Wage Effect of the Occupational Segregation of Women in Britain," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(388), pages 885-96, December.
- Andrea H. Beller, 1982. "Occupational Segregation by Sex: Determinants and Changes," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 17(3), pages 371-392.
- Brian G.M. Main, 1991. "Gender Differences in Wage Rates, Work Histories, and Occupational Segregation," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 18(2), pages 22-38, May.
- Paul W. Miller, 1987. "Gender Differences in Observed and Offered Wages in Canada, 1980," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 20(2), pages 225-44, May.
- Judith Fields & Edward N. Wolff, 1991. "The Decline of Sex Segregation and the Wage Gap, 1970-80," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 26(4), pages 608-622.
- Rimmer, Sheila M, 1991. "Occupational Segregation, Earnings Differentials and Status among Australian Workers," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 67(198), pages 205-16, September.
- Neuman, Shoshana, 1991. "Occupational Sex Segregation in the Kibbutz: Principles and Practice," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 203-19.
- Greenhalgh, Christine A & Stewart, Mark B, 1985. "The Occupational Status and Mobility of British Men and Women," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(1), pages 40-71, March.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1983. "Generalized Econometric Models with Selectivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 507-12, March.
- Bielby, William T & Baron, James N, 1986. "Sex Segregation within Occupations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 43-47, May.
- Karmel, T & Maclachlan, M, 1988. "Occupational Sex Segregation--Increasing or Decreasing?," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 64(186), pages 187-95, September.
- Gannicott, Kenneth, 1986. "Women, Wages, and Discrimination: Some Evidence from Taiwan," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34(4), pages 721-30, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ilo:ilowps:298900. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vesa Sivunen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.