Vertical linkages, agglomeration and the organization of production in European regions
In this paper we test for the presence of localisation economies due to input-output linkages between vertically related firms located in the same region. To undertake this we estimate, by duality, a quadratic cost function using a sector by sector panel at the European regional level in the period 1985-1995. Vertical economies are derived from the concept of scope economies and associated to regional advantages of having in the proximity specialised providers of intermediate goods. Several specifications are tested and results indicate that the necessary conditions for the existence of economies of vertical disintegration are satisfied as well as the sufficient conditions for some sectors, showing that vertical diseconomies are stronger for the more geographically concentrated industries. These effects are not pervasive since there are also opportunities for efficiency gains from a more vertically integrated production for some sectors in several regions.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Carrer del Tinent Coronel Valenzuela 1-11, 08034 Barcelona|
Phone: 93 403 46 46
Fax: 93 403 98 32
Web page: http://www.ieb.ub.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Breusch, T.S. & Pagan, A.R., .
"The Lagrange multiplier test and its applications to model specification in econometrics,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
412, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- T. S. Breusch & A. R. Pagan, 1980. "The Lagrange Multiplier Test and its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(1), pages 239-253.
- David E. Bloom & David Canning & Jaypee Sevilla, 2001. "The Effect of Health on Economic Growth: Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 8587, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chambers,Robert G., 1988. "Applied Production Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521314275, September.
- Gordon H. Hanson, 1994.
"Localization Economies, Vertical Organization and Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
4744, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hanson, Gordon H, 1996. "Localization Economies, Vertical Organization, and Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1266-78, December.
- Harrigan, James, 1997.
"Technology, Factor Supplies, and International Specialization: Estimating the Neoclassical Model,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 475-94, September.
- James Harrigan, 1996. "Technology, factor supplies, and international specialization: estimating the neoclassical model," Staff Reports 15, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- James Harrigan, 1996. "Technology, Factor Supplies and International Specialization: Estimating the Neoclassical Model," NBER Working Papers 5722, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krugman, Paul, 1991.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 483-99, June.
- Kaserman, David L & Mayo, John W, 1991. "The Measurement of Vertical Economies and the Efficient Structure of the Electric Utility Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(5), pages 483-502, September.
- Kwoka, John E., 2002. "Vertical economies in electric power: evidence on integration and its alternatives," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 653-671, May.
- Stephen Redding & Mercedes Vera-Martin, 2006.
"Factor Endowments and Production in European Regions,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 142(1), pages 1-32, April.
- Stephen Redding & Mercedes Vera-Martin, 2001. "Factor Endowments and Production in European Regions," CEP Discussion Papers dp0501, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Stephen Redding & Mercedes Vera-Martin, 2001. "Factor endowments and production in European regions," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3713, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Redding, Stephen J. & Vera-Martin, Mercedes, 2003. "Factor Endowments and Production in European Regions," CEPR Discussion Papers 3755, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Haaland, J.I. & Kind, H.J. & knarvik, K.H.M. & Torstensson, J., 1998.
"What Determines the Economic Geography of Europe?,"
19/98, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Hausman, Jerry, 2015.
"Specification tests in econometrics,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 38(2), pages 112-134.
- Thomas J. Holmes, 1999.
"Localization Of Industry And Vertical Disintegration,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 81(2), pages 314-325, May.
- Thomas J. Holmes, 1995. "Localization of industry and vertical disintegration," Staff Report 190, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Overman, Henry G & Ulltveit-Moe, Karen-Helene & Venables, Anthony J, 2000.
"Comparative Advantage and Economic Geography: Estimating the Location of Production in the EU,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2618, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Midelfart-Knarvik, K.H. & Overman, H.G. & Venables, A.J., 2000. "Comparative Advantage and Economic Geography: Estimating the Location of Production in the EU," Papers 18/00, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Bengt Hansson, 1991. "Measuring the Contribution of Public Infrastructure Capital in Sweden," NBER Working Papers 3842, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nemoto, Jiro & Goto, Mika, 2004. "Technological externalities and economies of vertical integration in the electric utility industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 67-81, January.
- Lee, Byung-Joo, 1995. "Separability Test for the Electricity Supply Industry," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(1), pages 49-60, Jan.-Marc.
- Gilsdorf, Keith, 1994. "Vertical integration efficiencies and electric utilities: A cost complementarity perspective," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 261-282.
- Azzeddine M. Azzam, 1998. "Testing for Vertical Economies of Scope: An Example from US Pig Production," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 427-433.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ieb:wpaper:223533art101. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.