Beyond the R&D effects on innovation: the contribution of non-R&D activities to TFP growth in the EU
A significant part of the innovation efforts carried out across very heterogeneous economies in Europe is under the form of Non-R&D innovation activities. But the traditional macro approach to the determinants of TFP does not handle this issue appropiately. This paper has proposed and estimated an augmented macro-theoretical model to the determinants of total factor productivity (TFP) by jointly considering the effects of R&D endowments and the impact of Non-R&D innovation activities on …firms´ levels of productivity. The estimation of the model for a sample of EU26 countries covering the period 2004-2008 shows that the distinction between R&D and Non-R&D endowments really matters for a number of different issues. First, the results show a sizable differential impact of these endowments on TFP growth, being the impact of R&D twice as big as the impact of Non-R&D. Second, absorptive capacity is only linked to R&D endowments. And third, the two types of endowments cannot strictly been seen as complements at least for the case of countries with high R&D intensities or high Non-R&D intensities.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Carrer del Tinent Coronel Valenzuela 1-11, 08034 Barcelona|
Phone: 93 403 46 46
Fax: 93 403 98 32
Web page: http://www.ieb.ub.edu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jaan Masso & Priit Vahter, 2008.
"Technological Innovation And Productivity In Late-Transition Estonia: Econometric Evidence From Innovation Surveys,"
University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series
61, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Jaan Masso & Priit Vahter, 2008. "Technological innovation and productivity in late-transition Estonia: econometric evidence from innovation surveys," The European Journal of Development Research, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 20(2), pages 240-261.
- László Halpern & Balázs Muraközy, 2012.
"Innovation, productivity and exports: the case of Hungary,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(2), pages 151-173, January.
- Laszlo Halpern & Balazs Murakozy, 2009. "Innovation, Productivity and Exports: the Case of Hungary," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0921, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- László Halpern & Balázs Muraközy, 2009. "Innovation, Productivity and Export: the case of Hungary," CeFiG Working Papers 10, Center for Firms in the Global Economy, revised 02 Dec 2009.
- Ganna Vakhitova & Tetyana Pavlenko, 2010. "Innovation and Productivity: a Firm Level Study of Ukrainian Manufacturing Sector," Discussion Papers 27, Kyiv School of Economics.
- Martínez, Diego & Rodríguez, Jesús & Torres, José L., 2008.
"The productivity paradox and the new economy: The Spanish case,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1569-1586, December.
- Jesús Rodríguez López & Diego Martínez López & José Luis Torres Chacón, 2007. "The Productivity Paradox and the New Economy: The Spanish Case," Working Papers 07.01, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- Grimpe, Christoph & Sofka, Wolfgang, 2009. "Search patterns and absorptive capacity: Low- and high-technology sectors in European countries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 495-506, April.
- Spielkamp, Alfred & Czarnitzki, Dirk & Rammer, Christian, 2008.
"Innovation Success of Non-R&D-Performers: Substituting Technology by Management in SMEs,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
08-092, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Christian Rammer & Dirk Czarnitzki & Alfred Spielkamp, 2009. "Innovation success of non-R&D-performers: substituting technology by management in SMEs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 35-58, June.
- Raquel Ortega-Argilés & Lesley Potters & Marco Vivarelli, 2011.
"R&D and productivity: testing sectoral peculiarities using micro data,"
Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 817-839, December.
- Potters, Lesley & Ortega-Argilés, Raquel & Vivarelli, Marco, 2008. "R&D and Productivity: Testing Sectoral Peculiarities Using Micro Data," IZA Discussion Papers 3338, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Raquel Ortega-Argilés & Lesley Potters & Marco Vivarelli, 2009. "R&D and Productivity: Testing Sectoral Peculiarities Using Micro Data," JRC Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation 2009-3, Joint Research Centre (Seville site).
- Jacques Mairesse & Mohamed Sassenou, 1991. "R&D Productivity: A Survey of Econometric Studies at the Firm Level," NBER Working Papers 3666, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diego Martínez López & Jesús Rodríguez López & José Luis Torres Chacón, 2008.
"ICT-specific technological change and productivity growth in the US 1980-2004,"
08.05, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- Martínez, Diego & Rodríguez, Jesús & Torres, José L., 2010. "ICT-specific technological change and productivity growth in the US: 1980-2004," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 121-129, May.
- Diego Martínez & Jesús Rodríguez & José L. Torres, 2008. "ICT-specific technological change and productivity growth in the US 1980-2004," Working Papers 2008-4, Universidad de Málaga, Department of Economic Theory, Málaga Economic Theory Research Center.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1993.
"Endogenous, Innovation in the Theory of Growth,"
165, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Peters, Bettina & Lööf, Hans & Janz, Norbert, 2003.
"Firm Level Innovation and Productivity: Is there a Common Story Across Countries?,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
03-26, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Janz, Norbert & Lööf, Hans & Peters, Bettina, 2004. "Firm Level Innovation and Productivity - Is there a Common Story Across Countries?," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 24, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998.
"Research, Innovation And Productivity: An Econometric Analysis At The Firm Level,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 115-158.
- Bruno Crépon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Research, Innovation and Productivity : An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level," Working Papers 98-33, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Research, Innovation, and Productivity: An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level," NBER Working Papers 6696, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrea Conte, 2009. "Mapping innovative activity using microdata," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(18), pages 1795-1799.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ieb:wpaper:2013/6/doc2014-16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.