The effect of the l’Aquila earthquake on labour market outcomes
Using Labour Force Survey individual-level data recently released by the Italian Institute of Statistics (ISTAT) where information is for the first time at available at provincial level, this paper looks at the short-term effects of the L’Aquila earthquake on labour market outcomes. Our estimates are based on a difference-in-differences (DiD) strategy that compares residents of L’Aquila with residents of a control area before and after the earthquake. The empirical results suggest that while the earthquake had no significant effect on the employment-population ratio, it led to a modest, but significant, reduction in labour force participation. There is also evidence of significant heterogeneous effects by gender and level of education.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Carrer del Tinent Coronel Valenzuela 1-11, 08034 Barcelona|
Phone: 93 403 46 46
Fax: 93 403 98 32
Web page: http://www.ieb.ub.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Julie Zissimopoulos & Lynn A. Karoly, 2007. "Employment and Self-Employment in the Wake of Hurricane Katrina," Working Papers 525, RAND Corporation.
- Ossi Korkeamäki & Roope Uusitalo, 2009. "Employment and wage effects of a payroll-tax cut—evidence from a regional experiment," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 16(6), pages 753-772, December.
- Noy, Ilan, 2009.
"The macroeconomic consequences of disasters,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 221-231, March.
- Jacob L. Vigdor, 2007.
"The Katrina Effect: Was There a Bright Side to the Evacuation of Greater New Orleans?,"
NBER Working Papers
13022, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vigdor Jacob L, 2007. "The Katrina Effect: Was There a Bright Side to the Evacuation of Greater New Orleans?," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-40, December.
- Marchand, Joseph, 2010.
"Local Labor Market Impacts of Energy Boom-Bust-Boom in Western Canada,"
2010-17, University of Alberta, Department of Economics, revised 01 Mar 2011.
- Marchand, Joseph, 2012. "Local labor market impacts of energy boom-bust-boom in Western Canada," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 165-174.
- Eduardo Cavallo & Ilan Noy, 2009.
"The Economics of Natural Disasters: A Survey,"
Research Department Publications
4649, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Eduardo Cavallo & Ilan Noy, 2009. "The Economics of Natural Disasters - A Survey," Working Papers 200919, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Eduardo A. Cavallo & Ilan Noy, 2009. "The Economics of Natural Disasters: A Survey," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6779, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Robert McComb & Young-Kyu Moh & Anita Schiller, 2011. "Measuring long-run economic effects of natural hazard," Natural Hazards- Journal of the International Society for the Prevention and Mitigation of Natural Hazards, Springer;International Society for the Prevention and Mitigation of Natural Hazards, vol. 58(1), pages 559-566, July.
- Staubli, Stefan, 2011.
"The impact of stricter criteria for disability insurance on labor force participation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(9), pages 1223-1235.
- Staubli, Stefan, 2011. "The impact of stricter criteria for disability insurance on labor force participation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(9-10), pages 1223-1235, October.
- Loayza, Norman & Olaberria, Eduardo & Rigolini, Jamele & Christiaensen, Luc, 2009.
"Natural disasters and growth - going beyond the averages,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4980, The World Bank.
- Loayza, Norman V. & Olaberría, Eduardo & Rigolini, Jamele & Christiaensen, Luc, 2012. "Natural Disasters and Growth: Going Beyond the Averages," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 1317-1336.
- John Dagsvik & Tom Kornstad & Terje Skjerpen, 2013.
"Labor force participation and the discouraged worker effect,"
Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 401-433, August.
- John K. Dagsvik & Tom Kornstad & Terje Skjerpen, 2010. "Labor force participation and the discouraged worker effect," Discussion Papers 642, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Falck, Oliver & Heblich, Stephan & Kipar, Stefan, 2010.
"Industrial innovation: Direct evidence from a cluster-oriented policy,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20542, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Falck, Oliver & Heblich, Stephan & Kipar, Stefan, 2010. "Industrial innovation: Direct evidence from a cluster-oriented policy," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 574-582, November.
- Benati, Luca, 2001. "Some empirical evidence on the 'discouraged worker' effect," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 387-395, March.
- Molly Fifer McIntosh, 2008. "Measuring the Labor Market Impacts of Hurricane Katrina Migration: Evidence from Houston, Texas," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(2), pages 54-57, May.
- Crespo Cuaresma & Hlouskova & Obersteiner, 2008. "Natural Disasters As Creative Destruction? Evidence From Developing Countries," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 46(2), pages 214-226, 04.
- Richard Dorsett, 2005. "Unemployed couples: the labour market effects of making both partners search for work," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 168(2), pages 365-385.
- Mark Skidmore & Hideki Toya, 2002. "Do Natural Disasters Promote Long-Run Growth?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 40(4), pages 664-687, October.
- Valerie Mueller & Daniel Osgood, 2009. "Long-term Impacts of Droughts on Labour Markets in Developing Countries: Evidence from Brazil," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(10), pages 1651-1662.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ieb:wpaper:2011/12/doc2011-41. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.