Efficiency and elusion: both sides of public enterprises in Spain
The main objective of this research consists on analyzing regional public sector enterprises (PSEs) in Spain. We describe a general view on Spanish Autonomous Communities (ACs) financial resources, in the context of the Stability and Growth Pact and Budgetary Stability Act. From 2002, such regulation imposes several constraints to ACs’ indebtness. In this paper, we find out about the roll of PSEs as an alternative way to traditional debt mechanisms. Thus, according to Eurostat criteria, PSEs’ debt can be taken off the public sector’s consolidated budget. Descriptive and econometric results confirm our expectations. ACs’ have used public enterprises to avoid the stringent financial rules. Additionally, it seems that low productivity ACs are accumulating more public debt outside the scope of consolidation. The paper concludes with some recommendations and policy implications.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 93 403 46 46
Fax: 93 403 98 32
Web page: http://www.ieb.ub.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Víctor M. Giménez García, 2004. "Un modelo FDH para la medida de la eficiencia en costes de los departamentos universitarios," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 168(1), pages 69-92, march.
- de Palma, André & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1995.
"Privatization and Efficiency in a Differentiated Industry,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1136, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anderson, Simon P. & de Palma, Andre & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1997. "Privatization and efficiency in a differentiated industry," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(9), pages 1635-1654, December.
- Anderson, S.P. & de Palma, A. & Thisse, J.F., 1995. "Privatization and Efficiency in a Differentiated Industry," Papers 9505, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- ANDERSON, S. P. & de PALMA, A. & THISSE, J.-F., . "Privatization and efficiency in a differentiated industry," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1298, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- ANDERSON, Simon & de PALMA, André & THISSE, Jacques-François, 1996. "Privatization and Efficiency in a Differentiated Industry," CORE Discussion Papers 1996045, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- von Hagen,Juergen, .
"A note on the empirical effectiveness of formal fiscal restraints,"
Discussion Paper Serie B
155, University of Bonn, Germany.
- von Hagen, Jurgen, 1991. "A note on the empirical effectiveness of formal fiscal restraints," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 199-210, March.
- Xiujian Chen & Shu Lin & W. Robert Reed, 2005.
"Another Look At What To Do With Time-Series Cross-Section Data,"
- Xiujian Chen & Shu Lin & W. Robert Reed, 2006. "Another Look at what to do with Time-series Cross-section Data," Working Papers in Economics 06/04, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Willner, Johan, 2001. "Ownership, efficiency, and political interference," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 723-748, November.
- Arulampalam, Wiji & Dasgupta, Sugato & Dhillon, Amrita & Dutta, Bhaskar, 2009.
"Electoral goals and center-state transfers: A theoretical model and empirical evidence from India,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 103-119, January.
- Arulampalam, Wiji & Dasgupta, Sugato & Dhillon, Amrita & Dutta, Bhaskar, 2008. "Electoral Goals and Center-State Transfers: A Theoretical Model and Empirical Evidence from India," IZA Discussion Papers 3376, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Wiji Arulampalam & Sugato Dasgupta & Amrita Dhillon & Bhaskar Dutta, 2008. "Electoral goals and center-state transfers: A Theoretical model and empirical evidence from India," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 08-14, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- David M. Drukker, 2003. "Testing for serial correlation in linear panel-data models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 3(2), pages 168-177, June.
- Xiujian Chen & Shu Lin & W. Robert Reed, 2006.
"A Monte Carlo Evaluation of the Efficiency of the PCSE Estimator,"
Working Papers in Economics
06/14, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Xiujian Chen & Shu Lin & W. Robert Reed, 2010. "A Monte Carlo evaluation of the efficiency of the PCSE estimator," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 7-10, January.
- DE BORGER, Bruno & KERSTENS, Kristiaan, 1994.
"Cost efficiency of Belgian local governments: A comparative analysis of FDH, DEA and econometric approaches,"
SESO Working Papers
1994002, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- De Borger, Bruno & Kerstens, Kristiaan, 1996. "Cost efficiency of Belgian local governments: A comparative analysis of FDH, DEA, and econometric approaches," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 145-170, April.
- Lott, John Jr., 1990. "Predation by public enterprises," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 237-251, November.
- Kiewiet, D Roderick & Szakaly, Kristin, 1996. "Constitutional Limitations on Borrowing: An Analysis of State Bonded Indebtedness," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(1), pages 62-97, April.
- Gian-Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2000.
"Good, Bad or Ugly?on the Effects of Fiscal Rules with Creative Accounting,"
IMF Working Papers
00/172, International Monetary Fund.
- Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2004. "Good, bad or ugly? On the effects of fiscal rules with creative accounting," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1-2), pages 377-394, January.
- Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2001. "Good, Bad or Ugly? On the Effects of Fiscal Rules with Creative Accounting," CEPR Discussion Papers 2663, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ali Bayar & Bram Smeets, 2009. "Economic, Political and Institutional Determinants of Budget Deficits in the European Union," CESifo Working Paper Series 2611, CESifo Group Munich.
- John Merrifield, 1994. "Factors That Influence the Level of Underground Government," Public Finance Review, , vol. 22(4), pages 462-482, October.
- Ann P. Bartel & Ann E. Harrison, 2005.
"Ownership Versus Environment: Disentangling the Sources of Public-Sector Inefficiency,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 87(1), pages 135-147, February.
- Bartel, Ann P. & Harrison, Ann E., 2000. "Ownership versus environment : disentangling the sources of public sector inefficiency," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2272, The World Bank.
- Michael Marlow & David Joulfaian, 1989. "The determinants of off-budget activity of state and local governments," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 63(2), pages 113-123, November.
- James Bennett & Thomas Dilorenzo, 1982. "Off-budget activities of local government: The bane of the tax revolt," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 333-342, January.
- Polackova, Hana, 1998. "Contingent government liabilities : a hidden risk for fiscal stability," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1989, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ieb:wpaper:2010/4/doc2010-5. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.