Economic incongruities in the European patent system
This article argues that the consequences of the ‘fragmentation’ of the European patent system are more dramatic than the mere prohibitive costs of maintaining a patent in force in many jurisdictions. The prevalence of national jurisdictions, which are highly heterogeneous in their costs and practices, over the validity and enforcement of European patents induces both a high level of uncertainty and an intense managerial complexity which undoubtedly reduces both the effectiveness and the attractiveness of the European patent system in its mission to stimulate innovation.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Carrer del Tinent Coronel Valenzuela 1-11, 08034 Barcelona|
Phone: 93 403 46 46
Fax: 93 403 98 32
Web page: http://www.ieb.ub.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Graham, Stuart J.H. & Harhoff, Dietmar, 2006.
"Can Post-Grant Reviews Improve Patent System Design? A Twin Study of US and European Patents,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5680, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Graham, Stuart J.H. & Harhoff, Dietmar, 2006. "Can Post-Grant Reviews Improve Patent System Design? A Twin Study of US and European Patents," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 38, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Bruno van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, 2011.
"The quality factor in patent systems,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 20(6), pages 1755-1793, December.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe, 2010. "The Quality Factor in Patent Systems," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2010-027, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno, 2010. "The quality factor in patent systems," CEPR Discussion Papers 7921, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bruno van Pottelsberghe, 2010. "The quality factor in patent systems," Working Papers 422, Bruegel.
- Bruno van Pottelsberghe, 2008.
"The London Agreement and the cost of patenting in Europe,"
- Mejer, Malwina & van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno, 2008. "The London Agreement and the Cost of Patenting in Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 7033, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Malwina Mejer & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe, 2008. "The London Agreement and the Cost of Patenting in Europe," Working Papers ECARES 2008_032, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bruno van Pottelsberghe, . "Lost property: The European patent system and why it doesn't work," Blueprints, Bruegel, number 312, March.
- Ariel Pakes & Mark Schankerman, 1979.
"The Rate of Obsolescence Of Knowledge, Research Gestation Lags, and the Private Rate of Return to Research Resources,"
NBER Working Papers
0346, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pakes, Ariel & Schankerman, Mark A., 1978. "The Rate of Obsolescence of Knowledge, Research Gestation Labs, and the Private Rate of Return to Research Resources," Working Papers 78-13, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Kyle Margaret, 2011.
"Strategic Responses to Parallel Trade,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 11(2), pages 1-34, January.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Carine Peeters, 2006. "Economic and management perspectives on intellectual property rights," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/6185, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Lerner, Josh, 1995. "Patenting in the Shadow of Competitors," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 38(2), pages 463-495, October.
- James E. Bessen & Michael J. Meurer, 2006.
"Patent Litigation with Endogenous Disputes,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 96(2), pages 77-81, May.
- Crampes, Claude & Langinier, Corinne, 2002.
"Litigation and Settlement in Patent Infringement Cases,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
5231, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Claude Crampes & Corinne Langinier, 2002. "Litigation and Settlement in Patent Infringement Cases," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 33(2), pages 258-274, Summer.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ieb:wpaper:2009/10/doc2009-31. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.