Optimal risk allocation in the provision of local public services: can a private insurer be better than a public mutual fund?
In this paper we consider the institutional arrangements needed in a decentralised framework to cope with the potential adverse welfare effects caused by localized negative shocks, that impact on the provision of public services and that can be limited by precautionary investments. We model the role of a public mutual fund to cover these “collective risks”. We first study the under-investment problem stemming from the moral hazard of Local administrations, when investments are defined at the local level and are not observable by the Central government that manages the mutual fund. We then examine the potential role of private insurers in solving the underinvestment problem. Our analysis shows that the public fund is almost always superior to the private insurance solution.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Carrer del Tinent Coronel Valenzuela 1-11, 08034 Barcelona|
Phone: 93 403 46 46
Fax: 93 403 98 32
Web page: http://www.ieb.ub.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David E. Wildasin, 2008. "Disaster Policies," Public Finance Review, SAGE Publishing, vol. 36(4), pages 497-518, July.
- Pierre Picard, 2005.
"Natural disaster insurance and the equity-efficiency trade-off,"
- Pierre Picard, 2008. "Natural Disaster Insurance and the Equity-Efficiency Trade-Off," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 75(1), pages 17-38.
- Pierre Picard, 2008. "Natural Disaster Insurance and the Equity-Efficiency Trade-Off," Post-Print hal-00367094, HAL.
- Timothy Goodspeed & Andrew Haughwout, 2012.
"On the optimal design of disaster insurance in a federation,"
Economics of Governance,
Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 1-27, March.
- Timothy J. Goodspeed & Andrew Haughwout, 2011. "On the Optimal Design of Disaster Insurance in a Federation," Economics Working Paper Archive at Hunter College 436, Hunter College Department of Economics.
- Timothy J. Goodspeed & Andrew F. Haughwout, 2009. "On the optimal design of disaster insurance in a federation," Working Papers 2009/25, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Timothy J. Goodspeed & Andrew Haughwout, 2006. "On the Optimal Design of Disaster Insurance in a Federation," Working Papers 2006-14, University of Kentucky, Institute for Federalism and Intergovernmental Relations.
- Timothy J. Goodspeed & Andrew Haughwout, 2007. "On the Optimal Design of Disaster Insurance in a Federation," CESifo Working Paper Series 1888, CESifo Group Munich.
- Carlsson, Fredrik & Daruvala, Dinky & Johansson-Stenman, Olof, 2001.
"Are People Inequality Averse Or Just Risk Averse?,"
Working Papers in Economics
43, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Fredrik Carlsson & Dinky Daruvala & Olof Johansson-Stenman, 2005. "Are People Inequality-Averse, or Just Risk-Averse?," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 72(3), pages 375-396, 08.
- Arrow, Kenneth J & Lind, Robert C, 1970. "Uncertainty and the Evaluation of Public Investment Decisions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 364-378, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ieb:wpaper:2009/10/doc2009-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.