Biofuels and Rural Economic Development in Latin America and the Caribbean
This report analyzes the current state of R&D in agricultural biotechnology in Latin America and the Caribbean in the context of development of the sector. The objectives of this report where first to estimate biofuel production potential based on current land use, productivity patterns and available technologies, examine the determinants of energy and biofuel supply and demand, and finally, develop a forward looking analysis of the long term impact of biofuel expansion in Latin America and its effects on prices, trade, food security, malnutrition and other indicators. The analysis of the current feedstock production possibilities show that most countries in Latin America continue to lag behind in terms of productivity, with a few exceptions. This conclusion leads to the need to further support strengthening the agricultural sector by improving input and output markets and value added chains.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1300 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20577|
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/publications/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lynn Price & Laurie Michaelis & Ernst Worrell & Marta Khrushch, 1998. "Sectoral Trends and Driving Forces of Global Energy Use and Greenhouse Gas Emissions," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 263-319, December.
- Rosegrant, Mark W. & Ringler, Claudia, 2000. "Asian economic crisis and the long-term global food situation," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 243-254, June.
- World Bank, 2006. "World Development Indicators 2006," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 8151, April.
- Rajagopal, Deepak & Zilberman, David, 2007. "Review of environmental, economic and policy aspects of biofuels," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4341, The World Bank.
- Wiesmann, Doris, 2006. "A global hunger index: measurement concept, ranking of countries, and trends," FCND discussion papers 212, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:brikps:37798. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.