Output Diversification among Small-Scale Hillside Farmers in El Salvador
In this study the authors analyze the degree of output diversification (anything produced in the farm that is not a subsistence crop, i.e., corn or beans) among 520 hillside farmers in El Salvador. Techniques were employed to construct a comparison group that resembles the treatment group based on observed characteristics while statistical controls were applied to measure differences on diversification for the treatment group at two points in time (2002 and 2005) and between the treatment and comparison groups at a given point in time (2005), allowing for before-after and with-without comparisons. The outcome of the study showed that overall, more diversified farm plans are positively associated with farm size, schooling, participation in communal organizations, and with the frequency of extension visits, which captures the PAES intervention. Also, farmers involved with PAES have significantly increased the number of agricultural activities in their farms between 2002 and 2005.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/publications/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pingali, Prabhu L. & Rosegrant, Mark W., 1995. "Agricultural commercialization and diversification: processes and policies," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 171-185, June.
- Abdulai, Awudu & Huffman, Wallace, 2007. "The Diffusion of New Agricultural Technologies: The Case of Crossbreeding Technology in Tanzania," Staff General Research Papers 12785, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bergeron, Gilles & Pender, John L., 1999. "Determinants of land use change: evidence from a community study in Honduras," EPTD discussion papers 46, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Glewwe, Paul, 1996. "The relevance of standard estimates of rates of return to schooling for education policy: A critical assessment," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 267-290, December.
- Boris E. Bravo-Ureta & Horacio Cocchi & Daniel Solís, 2006.
"Adoption of Soil Conservation Technologies in El Salvador: A Cross-Section and Over-Time Analysis,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
24418, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Boris Bravo & Horacio Cocchi & Daniel Solís, 2006. "Adoption of Soil Conservation Technologies in El Salvador: A cross-Section and Over-Time Analysis," OVE Working Papers 1806, Inter-American Development Bank, Office of Evaluation and Oversight (OVE).
- Awudu Abdulai & Wallace E. Huffman, 2005. "The Diffusion of New Agricultural Technologies: The Case of Crossbred-Cow Technology in Tanzania," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(3), pages 645-659.
- Weiss, Christoph R. & Briglauer, Wolfgang, 2002.
"Determinants and Dynamics of Farm Diversification,"
2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain
24929, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Neill, Sean P & Lee, David R, 2001. "Explaining the Adoption and Disadoption of Sustainable Agriculture: The Case of Cover Crops in Northern Honduras," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 49(4), pages 793-820, July.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Cahiers de recherche
9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Hellerstein, Daniel & Mendelsohn, Robert, 1993. "A Theoretical Foundation for Count Data Models," MPRA Paper 25265, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Quiroz, Jorge A. & Valdes, Alberto, 1995.
"Agricultural diversification and policy reform,"
Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 245-255, June.
- Blackman, Allen & Kildegaard, Arne, 2003.
"Clean Technological Change in Developing-Country Industrial Clusters: Mexican Leather Tanning,"
dp-03-12-rev, Resources For the Future.
- Allen Blackman & Arne Kildegaard, 2010. "Clean technological change in developing-country industrial clusters: Mexican leather tanning," Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, Society for Environmental Economics and Policy Studies - SEEPS, vol. 12(3), pages 115-132, September.
- Boris E. Bravo-Ureta & Daniel Solís & Horacio Cocchi & Ricardo E. Quiroga, 2006. "The impact of soil conservation and output diversification on farm income in Central American hillside farming," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 35(3), pages 267-276, November.
- Faria, Ana & Fenn, Paul & Bruce, Alistair, 2003. " A Count Data Model of Technology Adoption," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 63-79, January.
- Ramirez, Octavio A. & Schultz, Steven D., 2000. "Poisson Count Models To Explain The Adoption Of Agricultural And Natural Resource Management Technologies By Small Farmers In Central American Countries," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(01), April.
- Albert N. Link & David Paton & Donald S. Siegel, 2003.
"An Econometric Analysis of Trends in Research Joint Venture Activity,"
Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics
0305, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Albert N. Link & David Paton & Donald S. Siegel, 2005. "An econometric analysis of trends in research joint venture activity," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(2), pages 149-158.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521834315 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lau, Lawrence J. & Jamison, Dean T. & Louat, Frederic F., 1991. "Education and productivity in developing countries : an aggregate production function approach," Policy Research Working Paper Series 612, The World Bank.
- Arellanes, Peter & Lee, David R., 2003. "The Determinants Of Adoption Of Sustainable Agriculture Technologies: Evidence From The Hillsides Of Honduras," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25826, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Timothy Besley & Robin Burgess, 2003. "Halving Global Poverty," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 17(3), pages 3-22, Summer.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521542241 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:brikps:25778. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.