Spectral estimation of the fractional order of a LÃ©vy process
We consider the problem of estimating the fractional order of a LÂ´evy process from low frequency historical and options data. An estimation methodology is developed which allows us to treat both estimation and calibration problems in a unified way. The corresponding procedure consists of two steps: the estimation of a conditional characteristic function and the weighted least squares estimation of the fractional order in spectral domain. While the second step is identical for both calibration and estimation, the first one depends on the problem at hand. Minimax rates of convergence for the fractional order estimate are derived, the asymptotic normality is proved and a data-driven algorithm based on aggregation is proposed. The performance of the estimator in both estimation and calibration setups is illustrated by a simulation study.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Spandauer Str. 1,10178 Berlin|
Web page: http://sfb649.wiwi.hu-berlin.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Denis Belomestny & Markus Reiß, 2006.
"Spectral calibration of exponential Lévy models,"
Finance and Stochastics,
Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 449-474, December.
- Denis Belomestny & Markus Reiß, 2006. "Spectral calibration of exponential Lévy Models ," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2006-034, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Denis Belomestny & Markus Reiß, 2006. "Spectral calibration of exponential Lévy Models ," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2006-035, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Akgiray, Vedat & Lamoureux, Christopher G, 1989. "Estimation of Stable-Law Parameters: A Comparative Study," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 7(1), pages 85-93, January.
- Eberlein, Ernst & Keller, Ulrich & Prause, Karsten, 1998. "New Insights into Smile, Mispricing, and Value at Risk: The Hyperbolic Model," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 71(3), pages 371-405, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hum:wpaper:sfb649dp2009-021. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RDC-Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.