Panel Cointegration Testing in the Presence of a Time Trend
The purpose of this paper is to propose a new likelihood-based panel cointegration test in the presence of a linear time trend in the data generating process. This new test is an extension of the likelihood ratio (LR) test of Saikkonen & LÃ¼tkepohl (2000) for trend-adjusted data to the panel data framework, and is called the panel SL test. The idea is first to take the average of the individual LR (trace) statistics over the cross-sections and then to standardize the test statistic with the appropriate asymptotic moments. Under the null hypothesis, this standardized statistic has a limiting normal distribution as the number of time periods (T) and the number of cross-sections (N) tend to infinity sequentially. In addition to the approximation based on asymptotic moments, a second approximation approach involving the moments from a vector autoregressive process of order one is also introduced. By means of a Monte Carlo study the finite sample size and size-adjusted power properties of the test are investigated. The test presents reasonable size with the increase in T and N, and has high power in small samples.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Spandauer Str. 1,10178 Berlin|
Web page: http://sfb649.wiwi.hu-berlin.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Doornik, Jurgen A, 1998.
" Approximations to the Asymptotic Distributions of Cointegration Tests,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 573-93, December.
- Jurgen A. Doornik, 1998. "Approximations To The Asymptotic Distributions Of Cointegration Tests," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 573-593, December.
- Westerlund Joakim, 2006.
"Testing for Error Correction in Panel Data,"
056, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Breitung, Jörg, 2002.
"A parametric approach to the estimation of cointegration vectors in panel data,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
2002,3, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Jorg Breitung, 2005. "A Parametric approach to the Estimation of Cointegration Vectors in Panel Data," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(2), pages 151-173.
- Jörg Breitung, 2002. "A parametric approach to the estimation of cointegration vectors in panel data," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 B5-4, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Carsten Trenkler, 2008.
"Determining p-values for systems cointegration tests with a prior adjustment for deterministic terms,"
Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 19-39, January.
- Trenkler, Carsten, 2004. "Determining p-values for Systems Cointegration Tests With a Prior Adjustment for Deterministic Terms," Papers 2004,37, Humboldt-Universität Berlin, Center for Applied Statistics and Economics (CASE).
- Anindya Banerjee & Massimiliano Marcellino & Chiara Osbat, .
"Some Cautions on the Use of Panel Methods for Integrated Series of Macro-Economic Data,"
170, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Anindya Banerjee & Massimiliano Marcellino & Chiara Osbat, 2004. "Some cautions on the use of panel methods for integrated series of macroeconomic data," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(2), pages 322-340, December.
- Banerjee, A. & Marcellino, M. & Osbat, C., 2000. "Some Cautions on the Use of Panel Methods for Integrated Series of Macro-economic Data," Economics Working Papers eco2000/20, European University Institute.
- Richard G. Anderson & Hailong Qian & Robert H. Rasche, 2006. "Analysis of panel vector error correction models using maximum likelihood, the bootstrap, and canonical-correlation estimators," Working Papers 2006-050, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Hyungsik R. Moon, 1999.
"Linear Regression Limit Theory for Nonstationary Panel Data,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1222, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Hyungsik R. Moon, 1999. "Linear Regression Limit Theory for Nonstationary Panel Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1057-1112, September.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2000.
"Testing for the cointegrating rank of a VAR process with a time trend,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 177-198, March.
- H. Lütkepohl & P. Saikkonen, 1997. "Testing for the Cointegrating Rank of a VAR Process with a Time Trend," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1997,79, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Pentti Saikkonen, 1999. "Testing normalization and overidentification of cointegrating vectors in vector autoregressive processes," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 235-257.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, June.
- J.J.J. Groen & F. Kleibergen, 2001.
"Likelihood-Based Cointegration Analysis in Panels of Vector Error Correction Models,"
WO Research Memoranda (discontinued)
646, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Groen, Jan J J & Kleibergen, Frank, 2003. "Likelihood-Based Cointegration Analysis in Panels of Vector Error-Correction Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(2), pages 295-318, April.
- Larsson, Rolf & Lyhagen, Johan & Löthgren, Mickael, 1998.
"Likelihood-Based Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
250, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 27 Aug 1998.
- Rolf Larsson & Johan Lyhagen & Mickael Lothgren, 2001. "Likelihood-based cointegration tests in heterogeneous panels," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 4(1), pages 41.
- Lütkepohl, Helmut & Saikkonen, Pentti & Trenkler, Carsten, 2000.
"Maximum eigenvalue versus trace tests for the cointegrating rank of a VAR process,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
2000,83, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Helmut Lütkepohl & Pentti Saikkonen & Carsten Trenkler, 2001. "Maximum eigenvalue versus trace tests for the cointegrating rank of a VAR process," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 4(2), pages 8.
- Toda, Hiro Y, 1994. "Finite Sample Properties of Likelihood Ratio Tests for Cointegrating Ranks when Linear Trends are Present," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 66-79, February.
- Toda, Hiro Y., 1995. "Finite Sample Performance of Likelihood Ratio Tests for Cointegrating Ranks in Vector Autoregressions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(05), pages 1015-1032, October.
- James G. MacKinnon, 1992.
"Approximate Asymptotic Distribution Functions for Unit Roots and Cointegration Tests,"
861, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- MacKinnon, James G, 1994. "Approximate Asymptotic Distribution Functions for Unit-Root and Cointegration Tests," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(2), pages 167-76, April.
- Deniz Dilan Karaman Ã–rsal & Bernd Droge, 2009. "On the Existence of the Moments of the Asymptotic Trace Statistic," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2009-012, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Bénédicte Vidaillet & V. D'Estaintot & P. Abécassis, 2005. "Introduction," Post-Print hal-00287137, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hum:wpaper:sfb649dp2009-005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RDC-Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.