Arbitrage-Free Smoothing of the Implied Volatility Surface
The pricing accuracy and pricing performance of local volatility models crucially depends on absence of arbitrage in the implied volatility surface: an input implied volatility surface that is not arbitrage-free invariably results in negative transition probabilities and/ or negative local volatilities, and ultimately, into mispricings. The common smoothing algorithms of the implied volatility surface cannot guarantee the absence arbitrage. Here, we propose an approach for smoothing the implied volatility smile in an arbitrage-free way. Our methodology is simple to implement, computationally cheap and builds on the well-founded theory of natural smoothing splines under suitable shape constraints. Unlike other methods, our approach also works when input data are scarce and not arbitrage-free. Thus, it can easily be integrated into standard local volatility pricers.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://sfb649.wiwi.hu-berlin.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Michael Harrison & Stanley R. Pliska, 1981. "Martingales and Stochastic Integrals in the Theory of Continous Trading," Discussion Papers 454, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hardle, W., 1992.
"Applied Nonparametric Methods,"
9204, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Hardle, W., 1992. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Papers 9206, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Härdle, W.K., 1992. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Discussion Paper 1992-6, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- HÃ„RDLE, Wolfgang, 1992. "Applied nonparametric methods," CORE Discussion Papers 1992003, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Wolfgang Hardle & Oliver Linton, 1994. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1069, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Kreps, David M., 1979. "Martingales and arbitrage in multiperiod securities markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 381-408, June.
- Rubinstein, Mark, 1994. " Implied Binomial Trees," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(3), pages 771-818, July.
- Mark Rubinstein., 1994. "Implied Binomial Trees," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-232, University of California at Berkeley.
- M. A. H. Dempster & D. G. Richards, 2000. "Pricing American Options Fitting the Smile," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 157-177.
- Harvey, Campbell R & Whaley, Robert E, 1991. " S&P 100 Index Option Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(4), pages 1251-61, September.
- E. Mammen, 1999. "Smoothing Splines and Shape Restrictions," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 26(2), pages 239-252.
- Wolfgang Härdle & Zdenek Hlavka, 2005.
"Dynamics of State Price Densities,"
SFB 649 Discussion Papers
SFB649DP2005-021, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia & Jefferson Duarte, 2002.
"Nonparametric Option Pricing under Shape Restrictions,"
NBER Working Papers
8944, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine & Duarte, Jefferson, 2003. "Nonparametric option pricing under shape restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 116(1-2), pages 9-47.
- Yatchew, Adonis & Hardle, Wolfgang, 2006. "Nonparametric state price density estimation using constrained least squares and the bootstrap," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 579-599, August.
- Enno MAMMEN & C. THOMAS-AGNAN, 1996. "Smoothing Splines And Shape Restrictions," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1996,87, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Fengler, Matthias R. & Härdle, Wolfgang & Mammen, Enno, 2003. "Implied volatility string dynamics," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2003,54, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Hentschel, Ludger, 2003. "Errors in Implied Volatility Estimation," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(04), pages 779-810, December.
- Oliver LINTON, .
"Applied nonparametric methods,"
Statistic und Oekonometrie
9312, Humboldt Universitaet Berlin.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hum:wpaper:sfb649dp2005-019. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RDC-Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.