Is Europe growing together or growing apart?
While it is painfully clear that the ’ever closer’ monetary and financial union in the EU has run into serious trouble there has been very little study of the degree to which the countries have become similar or different in their economic growth dynamics. This paper therefore goes beyond the traditional convergence literature to look at their dynamic convergence and explore the path of their changing similarity in the frequency domain. The results show that while a core group of countries may be developing together, there appears to be at least seven identifiable groups of countries with different growth dynamics. Greece appears to be in a class on its own. Business cycles are important but longer-term trends and higher frequency fluctuations all have a role to play in facilitating adjustment. These results provide awkward implications for policy, particularly for those who thought that simply having a union would draw countries closer together (endogenous OCA criteria).
|Date of creation:||18 Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bank of Finland, P.O. Box 160, FI-00101 Helsinki, Finland|
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kilponen, Juha & Vilmunen, Jouko & Vähämaa, Oskari, 2013. "Estimating intertemporal elasticity of substitution in a sticky price model," Research Discussion Papers 9/2013, Bank of Finland.
- Chadha , Jagjit S. & Newby, Elisa, 2013. "Midas, transmuting all, into paper: The Bank of England and the Banque de France during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars," Research Discussion Papers 20/2013, Bank of Finland.
- Christoffel, Kai & Jaccard, Ivan & Kilponen, Juha, 2013. "Welfare and bond pricing implications of fiscal stabilization policies," Research Discussion Papers 32/2013, Bank of Finland.
- Verona, Fabio & Wolters, Maik H., 2013.
"Sticky information models in Dynare,"
Economics Working Papers
2013-02, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Verona, Fabio & Wolters, Maik H., 2013. "Sticky information models in Dynare," Research Discussion Papers 5/2013, Bank of Finland.
- Fabio Verona & Maik H. Wolters, 2013. "Sticky Information Models in Dynare," CEF.UP Working Papers 1306, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Verona, Fabio & Wolters, Maik H., 2012. "Sticky Information Models in Dynare," Dynare Working Papers 11, CEPREMAP, revised Apr 2013.
- Takalo, Tuomas & Tanayama, Tanja & Toivanen, Otto, 2013.
"Market failures and the additionality effects of public support to private R&D: Theory and empirical implications,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 634-642.
- Takalo, Tuomas & Tanayama , Tanja & Toivanen , Otto, 2013. "Market failures and the additionality effects of public support to private R&D: Theory and empirical implications," Research Discussion Papers 2/2013, Bank of Finland.
- Fabio Verona, 2014.
"Investment Dynamics with Information Costs,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 46(8), pages 1627-1656, December.
- Francis, Bill & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wu, Qiang, 2013. "The benefits of conservative accounting to shareholders: Evidence from the financial crisis," Research Discussion Papers 8/2013, Bank of Finland.
- F. Verona & M. M. F. Martins & I. Drumond, 2013.
"(Un)anticipated Monetary Policy in a DSGE Model with a Shadow Banking System,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 9(3), pages 78-124, September.
- Verona, Fabio & Martins, Manuel M. F. & Drumond, Inês, 2012. "(Un)anticipated monetary policy in a DSGE model with a shadow banking system," IMFS Working Paper Series 56, Institute for Monetary and Financial Stability (IMFS), Goethe University Frankfurt.
- Verona , Fabio & Martins, Manuel M. F. & Drumond , Inês, 2013. "(Un)anticipated monetary policy in a DSGE model with a shadow banking system," Research Discussion Papers 4/2013, Bank of Finland.
- Ant Bozkaya & William R. Kerr, 2009.
"Labor Regulations and European Private Equity,"
NBER Working Papers
15627, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:bofrdp:2013_033. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Minna Nyman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.