Fiscal planning and implementation: euro area analysis based on real time data
This study explores discretionary fiscal policies in the euro area during the time of monetary union (EMU). Ex ante budget plans and policy changes during budget implementation are investigated using real time data from the OECD Economic Outlook publications. The particular focus of the study is on fiscal adjustment to the recent financial crisis and the subsequent global recession. Estimated fiscal policy reaction functions indicate that in the EMU period ex ante fiscal plans in the euro area have basically been long-term oriented and counter-cyclical. In the course of the budgetary year, policies have typically been adjusted due to data revisions and new business cycle information. The crisis had a clear impact on discretionary policies. The periphery countries clearly adjusted their policies already in the budgetary planning stage, but other countries mainly reacted to the crisis during budget implementation. We provide evidence that short-term counter-cyclical fiscal policies may not have been consistent with sound and sustainable public finances. In order to maintain fiscal discipline and avoid excessive indebtedness, careful monitoring of macroeconomic imbalances and reliable as well as more accurate forecasts are needed. Overall, longer term fiscal policy orientation and continuous monitoring of the budgeting processes are crucial in good fiscal governance.
|Date of creation:||21 Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/en/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacopo Cimadomo, 2011.
"Real-Time Data and Fiscal Policy Analysis: a Survey of the Literature,"
2011-20, CEPII research center.
- Jacopo Cimadomo, 2011. "Real-time data and fiscal policy analysis: a survey of the literature," Working Papers 11-25, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Cimadomo, Jacopo, 2011. "Real-time data and fiscal policy analysis: a survey of the literature," Working Paper Series 1408, European Central Bank.
- Roberto Golinelli & Sandro Momigliano, 2006. "Real-time determinants of fiscal policies in the euro area: Fiscal rules, cyclical conditions and elections," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 609, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Philip R. Lane, 2002.
"The Cyclical Behaviour of Fiscal Policy: Evidence from the OECD,"
Trinity Economics Papers
20022, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Lane, Philip R., 2003. "The cyclical behaviour of fiscal policy: evidence from the OECD," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(12), pages 2661-2675, December.
- Galí, Jordi & Perotti, Roberto, 2003.
"Fiscal Policy and Monetary Integration in Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3933, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- António Afonso & Luca Agnello & Davide Furceri, 2008.
"Fiscal Policy Responiveness, Persistence and Discretion,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
2008/50, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- António Afonso & Luca Agnello & Davide Furceri, 2010. "Fiscal policy responsiveness, persistence, and discretion," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 145(3), pages 503-530, December.
- António Afonso & Luca Agnello & Davide Furceri, 2008. "Fiscal Policy Responsiveness, Persistence, and Discretion," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 659, OECD Publishing.
- Afonso, António & Agnello, Luca & Furceri, Davide, 2008. "Fiscal policy responsiveness, persistence and discretion," Working Paper Series 0954, European Central Bank.
- Candelon Bertrand & Muysken Joan & Vermeulen Robert, 2007.
"Fiscal Policy and Monetary Integration in Europe: An Update,"
050, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Bertrand Candelon & Joan Muysken & Robert Vermeulen, 2010. "Fiscal policy and monetary integration in Europe: an update," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(2), pages 323-349, April.
- Candelon Bertrand & Muysken Joan & Vermeulen Robert, 2008. "Fiscal Policy and Monetary Integration in Europe: An Update," Research Memorandum 038, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Roberto Golinelli & Sandro Momigliano, 2009. "The Cyclical Reaction of Fiscal Policies in the Euro Area: The Role of Modelling Choices and Data Vintages," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 30(1), pages 39-72, 03.
- Lane, Philip R, 2003.
"Business Cycles and Macroeconomic Policy in Emerging Market Economies,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(1), pages 89-108, Spring.
- Philip R. Lane, 2003. "Business Cycles and Macroeconomic Policy in Emerging Market Economies," Trinity Economics Papers 20032, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Andrew Hughes Hallett & Rasmus Kattai & John Lewis, 2012. "How Reliable Are Cyclically Adjusted Budget Balances In Real Time?," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 30(1), pages 75-92, 01.
- Roel Beetsma & Massimo Giuliodori & Mark Walschot & Peter Wierts, 2010.
"Fifty Years of Fiscal Planning and Implementation in the Netherlands,"
DNB Working Papers
260, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Beetsma, Roel & Giuliodori, Massimo & Walschot, Mark & Wierts, Peter, 2013. "Fifty years of fiscal planning and implementation in the Netherlands," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 119-138.
- Beetsma, Roel & Giuliodori, Massimo & Walschot, Mark & Wierts, Peter, 2010. "Fifty Years of Fiscal Planning and Implementation in the Netherlands," CEPR Discussion Papers 7969, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cimadomo, Jacopo, 2008.
"Fiscal policy in real time,"
Working Paper Series
0919, European Central Bank.
- Álvaro M. Pina, 2009. "Elusive Counter-Cyclicality and Deliberate Opportunism? Fiscal Policy from Plans to Final Outcomes," Working Papers w200906, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Pierre-Olivier Beffy & Patrice Ollivaud & Pete Richardson & Franck Sédillot, 2006. "New OECD Methods for Supply-side and Medium-term Assessments: A Capital Services Approach," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 482, OECD Publishing.
- Karsten Staehr, 2007.
"Fiscal Policies and Business Cycles in an Enlarged Euro Area,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1933, CESifo Group Munich.
- Staehr, Karsten, 2008. "Fiscal policies and business cycles in an enlarged euro area," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 46-69, March.
- Karsten Staehr, 2007. "Fiscal policies and business cycles in an enlarged euro area," Bank of Estonia Working Papers 2007-03, Bank of Estonia, revised 08 Mar 2007.
- Roel Beetsma & Massimo Giuliodori & Peter Wierts, 2009. "Planning to cheat: EU fiscal policy in real time," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 24, pages 753-804, October.
- Jacopo Cimadomo, 2011. "The Fiscal Stimulus and Challenges Ahead: Views on the Euro Area," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 30(1), pages 23-28, 03.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Schreger, Jesse, 2012.
"Over-Optimistic Official Forecasts in the Eurozone and Fiscal Rules,"
Working Paper Series
rwp12-041, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Jesse Schreger, 2012. "Over-optimistic Official Forecasts in the Eurozone and Fiscal Rules," NBER Working Papers 18283, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:bofrdp:2012_034. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Minna Nyman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.