Real time analysis of euro area fiscal policies: adjustment to the crisis
Using real time data from the OECD and fiscal policy reaction functions, this study explores euro area fiscal policies since the late 1990s. Both discretionary plans for the budget year and policy changes during budget implementation stages are investigated. The main focus is on the fiscal adjustment to the recent financial and economic crisis. The results suggest that during the time of monetary union (EMU) euro area planned fiscal policies have been long-term oriented and counter-cyclical. In the implementation stages new policy decisions have been made in response to unexpected economics developments. We provide evidence that the crisis had a clear impact on discretionary policies. Due to the resultant increase in uncertainty, the crisis spotlighted the impact of cyclical developments on fiscal planning. In the implementation stages, huge forecast errors in connection with planned policy were observed. As a consequence, new decisions were made in order to alleviate the negative impacts of the crisis on euro area economies.
|Date of creation:||14 Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yehning Chen & Iftekhar Hasan, 2011.
"Subordinated Debt, Market Discipline, and Bank Risk,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 43(6), pages 1043-1072, 09.
- Chen , Yehning & Hasan, Iftekhar, 2011. "Subordinated debt, market discipline, and bank risk," Research Discussion Papers 20/2011, Bank of Finland.
- Colciago , Andrea & Rossi, Lorenza, 2011.
"Endogenous market structures and labour market dynamics,"
Research Discussion Papers
12/2011, Bank of Finland.
- Andrea Colciago & Lorenza Rossi, 2011. "Endogenous Market Structures and Labor Market Dynamics," Quaderni di Dipartimento 139, University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Quantitative Methods, revised Feb 2011.
- Colciago, Andrea & Rossi, Lorenza, 2011. "Endogenous Market Structures and Labor Market Dynamics," MPRA Paper 29311, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Francis, Bill & Hasan, Iftekhar & Sharma, Zenu, 2011. "Incentives and innovation: evidence from CEO compensation contracts," Research Discussion Papers 17/2011, Bank of Finland.
- Fang, Yiwei & Hasan, Iftekhar & Marton, Katherin, 2011. "Bank efficiency in transition economies: recent evidence from South-Eastern Europe," Research Discussion Papers 5/2011, Bank of Finland.
- Ascari, Guido & Colciago , Andrea & Rossi, Lorenza, 2011.
"Limited asset market participation: does it really matter for monetary policy?,"
Research Discussion Papers
15/2011, Bank of Finland.
- Guido Ascari & Andrea Colciago & Lorenza Rossi, 2010. "Limited Asset Market Participation: Does it Really Matter for Monetary Policy?," Quaderni di Dipartimento 124, University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Quantitative Methods.
- Nyberg, Peter & Vaihekoski, Mika, 2011. "Descriptive analysis of Finnish equity, bond and money market returns," Research Discussion Papers 14/2011, Bank of Finland.
- Francis, Bill & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wu, Qiang, 2011. "The impact of CFO gender on bank loan contracting," Research Discussion Papers 18/2011, Bank of Finland.
- Crowley , Patrick M & Hughes Hallett, Andrew, 2011. "The great moderation under the microscope: decomposition of macroeconomic cycles in US and UK aggregate demand," Research Discussion Papers 13/2011, Bank of Finland.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:bofrdp:2011_021. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Minna Nyman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.