Blanket guarantee and restructuring decisions for multinational banks in a bargaining model
This paper examines blanket guarantee and restructuring decisions in respect of a multinational bank (MNB) using Nash bargaining, when the threat of a panic motivates countries to take decisions quickly. The failure of the bank would cause unevenly distributed externalities between the countries concerned, which influences restructuring incentives. In equilibrium, the bank is either liquidated or one – or both of the countries – recapitalizes it. The partition of the recapitalisation costs is sensitive to the country-specific benefits and costs from recapitalisation, panics and liquidation. The home regulator benefits from the privilege of being the only entity that can legally liquidate the MNB. Rational expectations regarding the bargaining result affect the incentives to declare a blanket guarantee.
|Date of creation:||03 Aug 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bank of Finland, P.O. Box 160, FI-00101 Helsinki, Finland|
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/en/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Holthausen, Cornelia & Rønde, Thomas, 2000.
"Regulating access to international large-value payment systems,"
Working Paper Series
0022, European Central Bank.
- Cornelia Holthausen & Thomas R¯nde, 2002. "Regulating Access to International Large-Value Payment Systems," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(5), pages 1561-1586.
- Repullo, Rafael, 2003.
"Capital Requirements, Market Power and Risk-Taking in Banking,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3721, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Repullo, Rafael, 2004. "Capital requirements, market power, and risk-taking in banking," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 156-182, April.
- Rafael Repullo, 2002. "Capital requirements, market power, and risk-taking in banking," Proceedings 809, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Eisenbeis, Robert A. & Kaufman, George G., 2008. "Cross-border banking and financial stability in the EU," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 168-204, September.
- George J. Mailath & Loretta J. Mester, 1993.
"A positive analysis of bank closure,"
93-10/R, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Repullo, Rafael, 2004.
"Policies for Banking Crises: A Theoretical Framework,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4727, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rafael Repullo, 2004. "Policies For Banking Crises: A Theoretical Framework," Working Papers wp2004_0418, CEMFI.
- Juha-Pekka Niinimäki, 2003. "Maturity Transformation without Maturity Mismatch and Bank Panics," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 159(3), pages 511-, September.
- Giacomo Calzolari & Gyongyi Loranth, 2001. "On the Regulation of Multinational Banks," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 91(4), pages 297-, April-May.
- Ariel Rubinstein, 2010.
"Perfect Equilibrium in a Bargaining Model,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
252, David K. Levine.
- Diamond, Douglas W & Dybvig, Philip H, 1983.
"Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 401-19, June.
- Rafael Repullo, 2001.
"A model of takeovers of foreign banks,"
Spanish Economic Review,
Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 1-21.
- Nash, John, 1950. "The Bargaining Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 18(2), pages 155-162, April.
- Wicker,Elmus, 1996. "The Banking Panics of the Great Depression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521562614.
- Yehning Chen & Iftekhar Hasan, 2008.
"Why Do Bank Runs Look Like Panic? A New Explanation,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(2-3), pages 535-546, 03.
- Chen, Yehning & Hasan, Iftekhar, 2006. "Why do bank runs look like panic? A new explanation," Research Discussion Papers 19/2006, Bank of Finland.
- Jacklin, Charles J & Bhattacharya, Sudipto, 1988. "Distinguishing Panics and Information-Based Bank Runs: Welfare and Policy Implications," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(3), pages 568-92, June.
- repec:bof:bofrdp:1998_020 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:bofrdp:2009_016. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Minna Nyman)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.