Integrating European retail payment systems: some economics of SEPA
Using a spatial competition model of retail payment networks, this paper discusses the likely economic consequences associated with the formation of the Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA). The model considers an expansion of positive network externalities on the demand side and adjustment cost on the supply side and reveals that the introduction of SEPA may not lead to a fully competitive and integrated retail payment markets. This is especially the case when the markets are segments before the introduction of SEPA. In such a scenario, the post-integrated markets are likely to remain segmented or will be characterised by a kinked equilibrium where no significant price competition takes place. In both outcomes, SEPA leads to increased prices, larger network sizes (ie increased number of customers) and a higher consumer surplus. Additionally, if the SEPA-induced adjustment costs for payment networks are not prohibitively high, SEPA may also lead to an increase in both profits and social welfare.
|Date of creation:||24 Sep 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/en/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mason, Robin, 2000. "Simple competitive Internet pricing," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(4-6), pages 1045-1056, May.
- Guido K. Schaefer, 2008. "An Economic Analysis of the Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA)," FIW Working Paper series 011, FIW.
- Steven C. Salop, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition with Outside Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 141-156, Spring.
- Milne, Alistair, 2006.
"What is in it for us? Network effects and bank payment innovation,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 1613-1630, June.
- Milne , Alistair, 2005. "What's in it for us? Network effects and bank payment innovation," Research Discussion Papers 16/2005, Bank of Finland.
- Nicholas Economides, 1995.
"The Economics of Networks,"
94-24, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics, revised Sep 1995.
- Nicholas Economides, 1997. "The Economics of Networks," Brazilian Electronic Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, vol. 1(0), December.
- Economides, Nicholas, 1996. "The economics of networks," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 673-699, October.
- repec:rje:randje:v:37:y:2006:3:p:645-667 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bolt Wilko & Humphrey David, 2007.
"Payment Network Scale Economies, SEPA, and Cash Replacement,"
Review of Network Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 6(4), pages 1-21, December.
- Wilko Bolt & David Humphrey, 2007. "Payment network scale economies, SEPA, and cash replacement," Working Papers 07-32, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Gandal, N. & Shy, O., 1996.
"Standardization Policy and International Trade,"
12-96, Tel Aviv - the Sackler Institute of Economic Studies.
- de Palma, Andre & Leruth, Luc, 1996. "Variable willingness to pay for network externalities with strategic standardization decisions," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 235-251, September.
- Mcandrews James J., 2003. "Automated Teller Machine Network Pricing - A Review of the Literature," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(2), pages 1-13, June.
- Kemppainen, Kari, 2003. "Competition and regulation in European retail payment systems," Research Discussion Papers 16/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Baake, Pio & Boom, Anette, 2001.
"Vertical product differentiation, network externalities, and compatibility decisions,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 267-284, January.
- Anette Boom & Pio Baake, . "Vertical Product Differentiation, Network Externalities, and Compatibility Decisions," Papers 010, Departmental Working Papers.
- Armstrong, Mark, 1998. "Network Interconnection in Telecommunications," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(448), pages 545-64, May.
- Heiko Schmiedel, 2007. "The economic impact of the Single Euro Payments Area," Occasional Paper Series 71, European Central Bank.
- Chakravorti Sujit & Roson Roberto, 2006.
"Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets: The Case of Payment Networks,"
Review of Network Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-25, March.
- Sujit Chakravorti & Roberto Roson, 2004. "Platform competition in two-sided markets: the case of payment networks," Working Paper Series WP-04-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Graeme Guthrie & Julian Wright, 2003. "Competing Payment Schemes," Departmental Working Papers wp0311, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics.
- Nicole Jonker & Anneke Kosse, 2008. "Towards a European payments market: survey results on cross-border payment behaviour of Dutch consumers," DNB Occasional Studies 601, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Matutes, Carmen & Padilla, A. Jorge, 1994. "Shared ATM networks and banking competition," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 1113-1138, May.
- Economides, Nicholas, 1984. "The principle of minimum differentiation revisited," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 345-368, April.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2007. "Must-Take Cards and the Tourist Test," DNB Working Papers 127, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Patrick Rey & Jean Tirole, 1998. "Network Competition: II. Price Discrimination," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 29(1), pages 38-56, Spring.
- Milne , Alistair, 2005. "Standard setting and competition in securities settlement," Research Discussion Papers 23/2005, Bank of Finland.
- James J. McAndrews, 1997. "Network issues and payment systems," Business Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, issue Nov, pages 15-25.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:bofrdp:2008_022. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Minna Nyman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.