The demand for money market mutual funds
This paper presents a model on the demand for money market funds (MMFs). These funds are a very close substitute for M1 deposits, except that MMFs do not satisfy immediate transaction requirements. The demand for MMFs strengthens when the intended volume of transactions is low. A high interest rate level makes it expensive to hold M1 deposits. High interest rate volatility, paradoxically, increases the risk of holding M1 deposits stronger than the risk of holding MMFs. The results are largely corroborated by Finnish data.
|Date of creation:||11 Jul 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bank of Finland, P.O. Box 160, FI-00101 Helsinki, Finland|
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/en/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Farinella, Joseph A. & Koch, Timothy W., 1999. "The Demand for Taxable and Tax-Exempt Money Market Mutual Funds," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 335-353, April.
- James Dow & Douglas W. Elmendorf, 1998. "The effect of stock prices on the demand for money market mutual funds," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1998-24, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kerstin Bernoth & Jürgen von Hagen, 2004. "The Euribor Futures Market: Efficiency and the Impact of ECB Policy Announcements," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(1), pages 1-24, 03.
- William N. Goetzmann & Massimo Massa & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 2000.
"Behavioral Factors in Mutual Fund Flows,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm135, Yale School of Management.
- Maggs, Gary E., 1991. "Depository disintermediation and the equilibrium quantity of money market mutual funds," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 253-263, August.
- Lam, Chun H. & Deb, Rajat & Fomby, Tom, 1989. "Deregulation and the demand for money market mutual funds," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 297-308.
- Domian, Dale L. & Reichenstein, William, 1997. "Performance and persistence in money market fund returns," Financial Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 169-183.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:bofrdp:2005_014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Minna Nyman)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.