Equilibrium dynamics under lump-sum taxation in an exchange economy with skewed endowments
I explore the dynamics in overlapping generations models with pure exchange and lump-sum taxes, when the second period after tax endowment is negative, and contrast the characteristics of equilibria to those of models with positive after tax endowments. In particular, if the intertemporal elasticity of substitution is less than unity, there can be only a two cycle or stable (ie indeterminate) equilibria for certain parameter values. With this value for that elasticity chaos and a cycle of any order can occur in a model with regular endowments. In a sense the lump-sum taxation in this model operates as a stabilizing device. The precise stability condition holds with a small discount factor and in economies with relatively high taxes in the first period. If the intertemporal elasticity of substitution is greater than unity, the steady state equilibria are unstable, and thus determinate, as is the case with the regular model.
|Date of creation:||13 Oct 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/en/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gale, David, 1973. "Pure exchange equilibrium of dynamic economic models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 12-36, February.
- Azariadis, Costas & Guesnerie, Roger, 1986. "Sunspots and Cycles," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(5), pages 725-37, October.
- de la Croix,David & Michel,Philippe, 2002.
"A Theory of Economic Growth,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521806428.
- Cass, David & Okuno, Masahiro & Zilcha, Itzhak., .
"The Role of Money in Supporting the Pareto Optimality of Competitive Equilibrium in Consumption-Loan Type Models,"
242, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Cass, David & Okuno, Masahiro & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1979. "The role of money in supporting the pareto optimality of competitive equilibrium in consumption-loan type models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 41-80, February.
- Grandmont Jean-michel, 1983.
"On endogenous competitive business cycles,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Bhattacharya, Joydeep & Haslag, Joseph, 2001.
"On the Use of the Inflation Tax when Non-Distortionary Taxes Are Available,"
Staff General Research Papers
5247, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Joydeep Bhattacharya & Joseph H. Haslag, 2001. "On the Use of the Inflation Tax When Nondistortionary Taxes Are Available," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 4(4), pages 823-841, October.
- Guesnerie, R. & Woodford, M., 1991. "Endogenous Fluctuations," DELTA Working Papers 91-10, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Balasko, Yves & Shell, Karl, 1981. "The overlapping-generations model. III. The case of log-linear utility functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 143-152, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:bofrdp:2004_029. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Minna Nyman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.