An approach to bank insolvency in transition and emerging economies
In the light of the inequity of the way losses from bank insolvencies and their avoidance through intervention by the authorities have been distributed over creditors, depositors, owners and the population at large in transition and emerging economies, this paper explores a number of regulatory reforms that would alter the balance between seeking to avoid insolvency and lowering the costs of insolvency should it occur. In particular it considers whether a lex specialis for dealing with banks that are in trouble through prompt corrective action and if necessary resolving them if their net worth falls to zero, at little or no cost to the taxpayer can be applied in the institutional framework of transition and emerging economies.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/en/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jenny Corbett & Janet Mitchell, 2000.
"Banking Crises and Bank Rescues: The Effect of Reputation,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
290, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Corbett, Jenny & Mitchell, Janet, 2000. "Banking Crises and Bank Rescues: The Effect of Reputation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(3), pages 474-512, August.
- Jenny Corbett & Janet Mitchell, 2000. "Banking crises and bank rescues: the effect of reputation," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 474-517.
- Dirk Schoenmaker & Sander Oosterloo, 2005.
"Financial Supervision in an Integrating Europe: Measuring Cross-Border Externalities,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(1), pages 1-27, 07.
- Sander Osterloo & Dirk Schoenmaker, 2004. "Financial Supervision in an Integrating Europe: Measuring Cross-Border Externalities," FMG Special Papers sp156, Financial Markets Group.
- Goodhart, Charles & Schoenmaker, Dirk, 1995. "Should the Functions of Monetary Policy and Banking Supervision Be Separated?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(4), pages 539-60, October.
- Oliver Hart, 2000.
"Different Approaches to Bankruptcy,"
NBER Working Papers
7921, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oliver Hart, 2000. "Different Approaches to Bankruptcy," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1903, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996.
"The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Berger, Allen N. & King, Kathleen Kuester & O'Brien, James M., 1991. "The limitations of market value accounting and a more realistic alternative," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 753-783, September.
- Udaibir S. Das & Marc Quintyn & Kina Chenard, 2004. "Does Regulatory Governance Matter for Financial System Stability? An Empirical Analysis," IMF Working Papers 04/89, International Monetary Fund.
- Philippe Aghion & Oliver D. Hart & John Moore, 1994.
"The Economics of Bankruptcy Reform,"
in: The Transition in Eastern Europe, Volume 2: Restructuring, pages 215-244
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philippe Aghion & Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1992. "The Economics of Bankruptcy Reform," CEP Discussion Papers dp0093, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Aghion, P. & Hart, O. & Moore, J., 1992. "The Economics of Bankruptcy Reform," Working papers 92-11, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1992. "The Economics of Bankruptcy Reform," NBER Working Papers 4097, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- King, Mervyn, 1994. "Debt deflation: Theory and evidence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 419-445, April.
- repec:imf:imfpdp:9705 is not listed on IDEAS
- Leslie Teo & Charles Enoch & Carl-Johan Lindgren & TomÃ¡s J. T. BaliÃ±o & Anne Marie Gulde & Marc Quintyn, 2000. "Financial Sector Crisis and Restructuring; Lessons from Asia," IMF Occasional Papers 188, International Monetary Fund.
- Charles A. E. Goodhart & Haizhou Huang, 1999.
"A model of the lender of last resort,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- De Luna-Martinez, J., 2000. "Management and Resolution of Banking Crises. Lessons from the Republic of Korea and Mexico," World Bank - Discussion Papers 413, World Bank.
- Mayes, David G., 2004. "Who pays for bank insolvency?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 515-551, April.
- Glenn Hoggarth & Jack Reidhill & Peter Sinclair, 2004. "On the resolution of banking crises: theory and evidence," Bank of England working papers 229, Bank of England.
- Calomiris, Charles W., 1999. "Building an incentive-compatible safety net," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(10), pages 1499-1519, October.
- James Daniel, 1997. "Fiscal Aspects of Bank Restructuring," IMF Working Papers 97/52, International Monetary Fund.
- Robert R. Bliss & Mark J. Flannery, 2000. "Market discipline in the governance of U.S. Bank Holding Companies: monitoring vs. influencing," Working Paper Series WP-00-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Robert A. Eisenbeis & Larry D. Wall, 2002. "The major supervisory initiatives post-FDICIA: Are they based on the goals of PCA? Should they be?," Working Paper 2002-31, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- International Monetary Fund, 2002. "Banking Crises and Bank Resolution; Experiences in Some Transition Economies," IMF Working Papers 02/56, International Monetary Fund.
- Beck, Thorsten, 2003. "The incentive-compatible design of deposit insurance and bank failure resolution : concepts and country studies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3043, The World Bank.
- Gary H. Stern & Ron J. Feldman, 2003. "Too big to fail: the hazards of bank bailouts," The Region, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Dec, pages 60-65.
- de Bandt, Olivier & Hartmann, Philipp, 2000.
"Systemic Risk: A Survey,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2634, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mario Draghi & Francesco Giavazzi & Robert C. Merton, 2003. "Transparency, Risk Management and International Financial Fragility," NBER Working Papers 9806, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George J. Benston & George G. Kaufman, 1997. "FDICIA after Five Years," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(3), pages 139-158, Summer.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:bofrdp:2004_004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Minna Nyman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.