Dynamics of investment behaviour in Finland: aggregate and firm level evidence
In this paper we estimate reduced form investment equations for Finland using aggregate as well as firm-level panel data. We obtain significant estimates of the accelerator and user-cost effects on investment with both aggregate and firm level data, but these effects appear to be stronger at the aggregate level. Although the response of firms’ investment spending to shifts in monetary policy seems to be quantitatively nontrivial, it is surprisingly weak according to the results with firm-level data, and a considerable amount of heterogeneity also exists across firms in this respect. The firm-level estimates do not provide evidence for the existence of binding financing constraints in firms’ investment spending, at least among the sampled large firms, as we cannot obtain a significant coefficient estimate on the cash flow variable.
|Date of creation:||17 Sep 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hayashi, Fumio, 1985. "Corporate finance side of the Q theory of investment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 261-280, August.
- Andrew B. Abel & Olivier J. Blanchard, 1983.
"The Present Value of Profits and Cyclical Movements in Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
1122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abel, Andrew B & Blanchard, Olivier J, 1986. "The Present Value of Profits and Cyclical Movements in Investment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(2), pages 249-73, March.
- Stephen Bond & Costas Meghir, 1990.
"Dynamic Investment Models and the Firm's Financial Policy,"
CEPR Financial Markets Paper
0013, European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ..
- Bond, Stephen & Meghir, Costas, 1994. "Dynamic Investment Models and the Firm's Financial Policy," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 197-222, April.
- Bond, Stephen & Van Reenen, John, 2007. "Microeconometric Models of Investment and Employment," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 65 Elsevier.
- Mojon, Benoît & Kashyap, Anil K. & Angeloni, Ignazio & Terlizzese, Daniele, 2002. "Monetary Transmission in the Euro Area : Where Do We Stand?," Working Paper Series 0114, European Central Bank.
- Saarenheimo, Tuomas, 1995. "Credit Crunch Caused Investment Slump? An Empirical Analysis Using Finnish Data," Research Discussion Papers 6/1995, Bank of Finland.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:bofrdp:2002_022. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Minna Nyman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.