Bidding in fixed rate tenders: theory and experience with the ECB tenders
This paper presents a model of the optimal bidding behaviour of a single bank in the context of fixed rate liquidity tenders. Banks’ bidding is shown to depend crucially on the central bank’s liquidity policy as regards tender allotments. The paper also analyses ECB liquidity policy in terms of the model. The ECB, while applying fixed rate tenders, appears to have been attempting stabilise the market interest rate at a level close to the main refinancing rate. However, this aim was at least partially overridden by that of stabilising total money market liquidity over the course of the reserve maintenance period – even more so when banks were expecting the ECB to raise the main refinancing rate in the near future. The banks’ aggregate bids increased considerably during the period of fixed rate tenders. This was seen to result mainly from profit opportunities associated with a positive spread between market interest rate and main refinancing rate. The positive spread resulted from the combination of expectations of an interest rate hike and liquidity-oriented allotment policy.
|Date of creation:||18 Feb 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bindseil, Ulrich & Seitz, Franz, 2001. "The supply and demand for Eurosystem deposits - The first 18 months," Working Paper Series 0044, European Central Bank.
- Juan Ayuso & Rafael Repullo, 2003.
"A Model of the Open Market Operations of the European Central Bank,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(490), pages 883-902, October.
- Ayuso, J. & Repullo, R., 2000. "A Model of the Open Market Operations of the European Central Bank," Papers 0011, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Juan Ayuso & Rafael Repullo, 2000. "A Model of the Open Market Operations of the European Central Bank," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0016, Banco de Espa�a.
- Ayuso, Juan & Repullo, Rafael, 2000. "A Model of the Open Market Operations of the European Central Bank," CEPR Discussion Papers 2605, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:bofrdp:2002_001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Minna Nyman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.