The Market for Electronic Cash Cards
We develop a theoretical framework aimed to model the pricing of electronic money (electronic cash cards) and the market domain in which it will be used. We first calculate the fee structures of electronic cash- and charge-card industries for the monopoly and competitive cases. We show that the different market structures do not affect the domain of electronic cash cards and the displacement of currency in daily transactions. We provide a welfare analysis to determine whether a market equilibrium generates an underutilization or overutilization of the electronic cash cards relative to currency. Finally, we evaluate the threshold investment costs, both general and POS-specific, which would prevent the emergence of this industry.
|Date of creation:||26 Oct 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/en/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kane, Edward J, 1996. "Comment on Alternative Monies and the Demand for Media of Exchange," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(4), pages 961-64, November.
- Santomero, Anthony M & Seater, John J, 1996.
"Alternative Monies and the Demand for Media of Exchange,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(4), pages 942-60, November.
- Anthony M. Santomero & John J. Seater, 1996. "Alternative monies and the demand for media of exchange," Proceedings, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), pages 942-964.
- Anthony M. Santomero & John J. Seater, 1995. "Alternative Monies and the Demand for Media of Exchange," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-08, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Leinonen, Harry, 1998. "Interbank funds transfer systems: liquidity needs, counterparty risks and collateral," Research Discussion Papers 16/1998, Bank of Finland.
- Willman, Alpo & Kortelainen, Mika & Männistö, Hanna-Leena & Tujula, Mika, 1998. "The BOF5 Macroeconomic Model of Finland, Structure and Equations," Research Discussion Papers 10/1998, Bank of Finland.
- Pirttilä, Jukka, 1998. "Earmarking of Environmental Taxes: Efficient, After All," Research Discussion Papers 4/1998, Bank of Finland.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:bofrdp:1998_021. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Minna Nyman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.