China and the World economy: Wavelet spectrum analysis of business cycles
We employ a wavelet spectrum analysis to study globalization and business cycles in China and G7 countries. The co-movement synchronization between G7 countries and China is shown to have undergone frequent and large changes during our sample period. The co-movements for business cycle frequencies are generally different from those for other frequencies, and synchronization with China’s business cycle differs as between G7 countries. In recent years Japan, Germany and Italy seem to have the closest synchronization at business-cycle frequency. We find a significant relationship between the time-varying wavelet measure of synchronization and trade only for business-cycle frequencies. The co-movements at longer frequencies are negatively related to trade, so that the overall co-movements and trade tend not to be significantly related.
|Date of creation:||27 Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published as Pomenková, Jitka, Jarko Fidrmuc and Iikka Korhonen, 'Wavelet Spectrum Analysis of Business Cycles of China and G7 Countries' in Applied Economics Letters, 2014, pages 1309-1313.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 358 10 831 2268
Fax: + 358 10 831 2294
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/bofit_en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Batorova, Ivana, 2008.
"China in the World Economy: Dynamic Correlation Analysis of Business Cycles,"
Working Paper Series
RP2008/02, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Iikka Korhonen & Ivana Bátorová, 2013. "China in the World Economy: Dynamic Correlation Analysis of Business Cycles," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 59(2), pages 392-411, June.
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Korhonen, Iikka & Bátorová, Ivana, 2008. "China in the world economy: Dynamic correlation analysis of business cycles," BOFIT Discussion Papers 7/2008, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Alessandra Iacobucci, 2003. "Spectral Analysis for Economic Time Series," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2003-07, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Christophe Croux & Mario Forni & Lucrezia Reichlin, 2001.
"A measure of co-movement for economic variables: theory and empirics,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/10139, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Christophe Croux & Mario Forni & Lucrezia Reichlin, 2001. "A Measure Of Comovement For Economic Variables: Theory And Empirics," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(2), pages 232-241, May.
- Croux, Christophe & Forni, Mario & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 1999. "A Measure of Comovement for Economic Variables: Theory and Empirics," CEPR Discussion Papers 2339, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chi Gong & Soyoung Kim, 2013. "Economic Integration and Business Cycle Synchronization in Asia," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 12(1), pages 76-99, March.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 1996.
"The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria,"
NBER Working Papers
5700, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1998. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(449), pages 1009-25, July.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1996. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," CEPR Discussion Papers 1473, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Artis, Michael J & Zhang, Wenda, 1995.
"International Business Cycles and the ERM: Is there a European Business Cycle?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1191, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Artis, Michael J & Zhang, W, 1997. "International Business Cycles and the ERM: Is There a European Business Cycle?," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(1), pages 1-16, January.
- Ã‡igdem Akin & M. Ayhan Kose, 2007.
"Changing Nature of North-South Linkages: Stylized Facts and Explanations,"
IMF Working Papers
07/280, International Monetary Fund.
- AkIn, Cigdem & Kose, M. Ayhan, 2008. "Changing nature of North-South linkages: Stylized facts and explanations," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 1-28, February.
- Aguiar-Conraria, LuIÂ´s & Joana Soares, Maria, 2011. "Business cycle synchronization and the Euro: A wavelet analysis," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 477-489, September.
- Andrew Hughes Hallett & Christian Richter, 2009. "Economics in the Backyard: How Much Convergence is there between China and her Special Regions?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(6), pages 819-861, 06.
- Andrew Hughes Hallett & Christian Richter, 2011. "Is there clustering among the Eurozone economies? Evidence from how the EU's New Member States are converging," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 127-150.
- Patrick M. Crowley, 2007. "A Guide To Wavelets For Economists ," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(2), pages 207-267, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:bofitp:2014_005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Päivi Määttä)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.