Choice of Corporate Debt in China: The Role of State Ownership
We analyze the determinants of debt choices for Chinese firms between bonds and syndicated loans. This issue helps appraise the weak development of bond market in China. We test if flotation costs, asymmetries of information, and renegotiation and liquidation costs influence the choice of debt in line with former studies in the context of regulatory interference in the bond market. We check the role of central state ownership on debt choice in order to assess to what extent corporate debt choices are politically or economically driven. We test these hypotheses on a dataset of 220 listed Chinese firms over the period 2006–2010. We find evidence in favour of the influence of central government ownership on the financing choices of firms it owns, as central state-owned firms are more likely to issue bonds. We also observe limited support for the premise that this influence is stronger for central state-owned firms located closer to the capital. Furthermore, we identify that these companies tend to borrow uniquely on the bond market rather than tapping both debt markets. We provide evidence in favour of the flotation costs hypothesis, but provide mixed evidence for the information asymmetry hypothesis and rather reject the renegotiation and liquidation hypothesis. All in all, our findings show that financial factors play a much more minor role in corporate debt choices compared to other countries, whereas state ownership remain a key determinant of preferring the bond market.
|Date of creation:||11 Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bank of Finland, BOFIT, P.O. Box 160, FI-00101 Helsinki, Finland|
Phone: + 358 10 831 2268
Fax: + 358 10 831 2294
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/bofit_en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Chui & Dietrich Domanski & Peter Kugler & Jimmy Shek, 2010. "The collapse of international bank finance during the crisis: evidence from syndicated loan markets," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, September.
- Tse, Chin-Bun & Rodgers, Timothy, 2011. "Can corporate tax shields explain the long-term borrowing behaviour of Chinese listed firms?," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 103-112, April.
- Li, Kai & Yue, Heng & Zhao, Longkai, 2009. "Ownership, institutions, and capital structure: Evidence from China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 471-490, September.
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1991. "Monitoring and Reputation: The Choice between Bank Loans and Directly Placed Debt," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(4), pages 689-721, August.
- Miguel Cantillo & Julian Wright, 1998.
"How Do Firms Choose Their Lenders? An Empirical Investigation,"
- Cantillo, Miguel & Wright, Julian, 2000. "How Do Firms Choose Their Lenders? An Empirical Investigation," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(1), pages 155-89.
- Cantillo, Miguel & Wright, Julian, 2000. "HOw Do Firms Choose Their Leaders? An Empirical Investigation," Research Program in Finance, Working Paper Series qt8sd393sj, Research Program in Finance, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Miguel Cantillo and Julian Wright., 2000. "How Do Firms Choose Their Lenders? An Empirical Investigation," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-256-Rev, University of California at Berkeley.
- Denis, David J. & Mihov, Vassil T., 2003. "The choice among bank debt, non-bank private debt, and public debt: evidence from new corporate borrowings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 3-28, October.
- Chemmanur, T.J. & Fulghieri, P., 1992.
"Reputation, Renegotiation, and the Choice Between Bank Loans and Publicity Traded Debt,"
92-24, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Chemmanur, Thomas J & Fulghieri, Paolo, 1994. "Reputation, Renegotiation, and the Choice between Bank Loans and Publicly Traded Debt," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(3), pages 475-506.
- Yener Altunbas & Alper Kara & David Marques-Ibanez, 2010.
"Large debt financing: syndicated loans versus corporate bonds,"
The European Journal of Finance,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(5), pages 437-458.
- Altunbas, Yener & Kara, Alper & Marqués-Ibáñez, David, 2009. "Large debt financing: syndicated loans versus corporate bonds," Working Paper Series 1028, European Central Bank.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2000.
"Does Distance Still Matter? The Information Revolution in Small Business Lending,"
NBER Working Papers
7685, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2002. "Does Distance Still Matter? The Information Revolution in Small Business Lending," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(6), pages 2533-2570, December.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1985. "What's different about banks?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 29-39, January.
- Edward C. Norton & Hua Wang & Chunrong Ai, 2004. "Computing interaction effects and standard errors in logit and probit models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 4(2), pages 154-167, June.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995.
"A Survey of Corporate Governance,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1741, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Douglas W. Diamond, 1984. "Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(3), pages 393-414.
- Smith, Clifford Jr., 1986. "Investment banking and the capital acquisition process," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 3-29.
- Chen, Gongmeng & Firth, Michael & Xu, Liping, 2009. "Does the type of ownership control matter? Evidence from China's listed companies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 171-181, January.
- Johnson, Shane A., 1997. "An Empirical Analysis of the Determinants of Corporate Debt Ownership Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(01), pages 47-69, March.
- Jiang, Guohua & Lee, Charles M.C. & Yue, Heng, 2010. "Tunneling through intercorporate loans: The China experience," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 1-20, October.
- Rajan, Raghuram G, 1992. " Insiders and Outsiders: The Choice between Informed and Arm's-Length Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1367-400, September.
- Huang, Guihai & Song, Frank M., 2006. "The determinants of capital structure: Evidence from China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 14-36.
- Esho, Neil & Lam, Yung & Sharpe, Ian G., 2001. "Choice of Financing Source in International Debt Markets," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 276-305, July.
- William T. Allen & Han Shen, 2011. "Assessing China's Top-Down Securities Markets," NBER Working Papers 16713, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berger, Allen N. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Zhou, Mingming, 2009. "Bank ownership and efficiency in China: What will happen in the world's largest nation?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 113-130, January.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Andrew H. Chen & Sumon C. Mazumdar & Rahul Surana, 2011. "China's Corporate Bond Market Development," Chinese Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 44(5), pages 6-33, September.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1977. "Determinants of corporate borrowing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 147-175, November.
- Galina Hale, 2007. "Prospects for China's corporate bond market," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue mar16.
- Pessarossi, Pierre & Godlewski, Christophe J. & Weill, Laurent, 2012. "Foreign bank lending and information asymmetries in China: Empirical evidence from the syndicated loan market," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 423-433.
- Qian, Yanmin & Tian, Yao & Wirjanto, Tony S., 2009. "Do Chinese publicly listed companies adjust their capital structure toward a target level?," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 662-676, December.
- Ai, Chunrong & Norton, Edward C., 2003. "Interaction terms in logit and probit models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 123-129, July.
- Blackwell, David W. & Kidwell, David S., 1988. "An investigation of cost differences between public sales and private placements of debt," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 253-278, December.
- Berlin, Mitchell & Loeys, Jan, 1988. " Bond Covenants and Delegated Monitoring," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(2), pages 397-412, June.
- William T. Allen & Han Shen, 2012. "Assessing China's Top-Down Securities Markets," NBER Chapters, in: Capitalizing China, pages 149-195 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:bofitp:2011_029. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Päivi Määttä)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.