Identifying structural shocks behind loan supply fluctuations in Russia
We examine the drivers behind loan supply fluctuations in Russia using Bayesian vector autoregressive model with sign restrictions on impulse response functions. We identify two types of structural innovations: loan supply shock and monetary stance shock. We find that contractionary shocks of both types contributed significantly and in the roughly equal measure to the decrease of bank lending after the Lehman Brothers collapse.
|Date of creation:||22 Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bank of Finland, BOFIT, P.O. Box 160, FI-00101 Helsinki, Finland|
Phone: + 358 10 831 2268
Fax: + 358 10 831 2294
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/bofit_en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Süß, Philipp Johann, 2009.
"The Outbreak of the Russian Banking Crisis,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
10996, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Juan Francisco Rubio-Ramírez & Daniel F. Waggoner & Tao Zha, 2005.
"Markov-switching structural vector autoregressions: theory and application,"
FRB Atlanta Working Paper
2005-27, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Juan F. Rubio-Ramirez & Daniel Waggoner & Tao Zha, 2006. "Markov-Switching Structural Vector Autoregressions: Theory and Application," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 69, Society for Computational Economics.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Linda S. Goldberg, 2010.
"Global banks and international shock transmission: evidence from the crisis,"
446, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Linda S Goldberg, 2011. "Global Banks and International Shock Transmission: Evidence from the Crisis," IMF Economic Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 59(1), pages 41-76, April.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Linda S. Goldberg, 2010. "Global Banks and International Shock Transmission: Evidence from the Crisis," NBER Working Papers 15974, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Madhusudan Mohanty & Philip Turner, 2010. "Banks and financial intermediation in emerging Asia: reforms and new risks," BIS Working Papers 313, Bank for International Settlements.
- Masami Imai & Seitaro Takarabe, 2009.
"Transmission of Liquidity Shock to Bank Credit: Evidence from the Deposit Insurance Reform in Japan,"
Wesleyan Economics Working Papers
2009-001, Wesleyan University, Department of Economics.
- Imai, Masami & Takarabe, Seitaro, 2011. "Transmission of liquidity shock to bank credit: Evidence from the deposit insurance reform in Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 143-156, June.
- Sophocles N. Brissimis & Matthaios D. Delis, 2007.
"Identification of a Loan Supply Function: A Cross-Country Test for the Existence of a Bank Lending Channel,"
54, Bank of Greece.
- Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Delis, Manthos D., 2009. "Identification of a loan supply function: A cross-country test for the existence of a bank lending channel," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 321-335, April.
- Jagjit S. Chadha & Luisa Corrado & Qi Sun, 2008.
"Money, Prices and Liquidity Effects: Separating Demand from Supply,"
Studies in Economics
0817, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Chadha, J.S. & Corrado, L. & Sun, Q., 2008. "Money, Prices and Liquidity Effects: Separating Demand from Supply," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0855, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Renee Fry & Adrian Pagan, 2007. "Some Issues in Using Sign Restrictions for Identifying Structural VARs," NCER Working Paper Series 14, National Centre for Econometric Research.
- Luiz de Mello & Mauro Pisu, 2009.
"The Bank Lending Channel of Monetary Transmission in Brazil: A VECM Approach,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
711, OECD Publishing.
- de Mello, Luiz & Pisu, Mauro, 2010. "The bank lending channel of monetary transmission in Brazil: A VECM approach," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 50-60, February.
- Juurikkala, Tuuli & Solanko, Laura & Karas, Alexei, 2009.
"The role of banks in monetary policy transmission: Empirical evidence from Russia,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
8/2009, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Tuuli Juurikkala & Alexei Karas & Laura Solanko, 2011. "The Role of Banks in Monetary Policy Transmission: Empirical Evidence from Russia," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(1), pages 109-121, 02.
- Daniel Paravisini, 2008. "Local Bank Financial Constraints and Firm Access to External Finance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(5), pages 2161-2193, October.
- Paolo Del Giovane & Ginette Eramo & Andrea Nobili, 2010.
"Disentangling demand and supply in credit developments: a survey-based analysis for Italy,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
764, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Del Giovane, Paolo & Eramo, Ginette & Nobili, Andrea, 2011. "Disentangling demand and supply in credit developments: A survey-based analysis for Italy," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 2719-2732, October.
- Atif Mian & Asim Ijaz Khwaja, 2006.
"Tracing the Impact of Bank Liquidity Shocks: Evidence from an Emerging Market,"
NBER Working Papers
12612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Asim Ijaz Khwaja & Atif Mian, 2008. "Tracing the Impact of Bank Liquidity Shocks: Evidence from an Emerging Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(4), pages 1413-42, September.
- Juurikkala, Tuuli & Karas, Alexei & Solanko, Laura, 2009. "The role of banks in monetary policy transmission : empirical evidence from Russia," BOFIT Discussion Papers 8/2009, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Fungachova, Z. & Solanko, L., 2010. "Has Banks’ Financial Intermediation Improved in Russia?," Journal of the New Economic Association, New Economic Association, issue 8, pages 101-116.
- Mauricio Calani C. & Pablo García S. & Daniel Oda Z., 2010. "Supply and Demand Identification in the Credit Market," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 571, Central Bank of Chile.
- Busch, Ulrike & Scharnagl, Michael & Scheithauer, Jan, 2010. "Loan supply in Germany during the financial crisis," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2010,05, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Deryugina, Elena B. & Ponomarenko, Alexey A., 2011.
"Identifying structural shocks behind loan supply fluctuations in Russia,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
20/2011, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Deryugina, Elena B. & Ponomarenko, Alexey A., 2011. "Identifying structural shocks behind loan supply fluctuations in Russia," BOFIT Discussion Papers 20/2011, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Sun, Lixin & Ford, J.L. & Dickinson, David G., 2010. "Bank loans and the effects of monetary policy in China: VAR/VECM approach," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 65-97, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:bofitp:2011_020. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Päivi Määttä)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.