The role of banks in monetary policy transmission: Empirical evidence from Russia
This paper focuses on the role of the banking sector in monetary policy transmission in an emerging economy with a rapidly developing financial system. Specifically, we exam whether the central bank's monetary policy stance affects banks' lending behaviour. Based on a comprehensive quarterly dataset on all Russian banks from 1Q1999 to 1Q2007, we find evidence for the existence of a bank lending channel in Russia. Contrary to several studies on developed economies, the level of a bank's capitalization matters for the transmission process. Better capitalized banks are less likely to adjust their lending practices following a change in the monetary policy stance.
|Date of creation:||06 Jul 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 358 10 831 2268
Fax: + 358 10 831 2294
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/bofit_en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vymyatnina, Yulia, 2006. "How much control does Bank of Russia have over money supply?," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 131-144, June.
- Esanov, Akram & Merkl, Christian & Vinhas de Souza, Lúcio, 2004.
"Monetary Policy Rules for Russia,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
11/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Francisco F. VÃ¡zquez & Carmen Reinhart & Marco Arena, 2007.
"The Lending Channel in Emerging Economies: Are Foreign Banks Different?,"
IMF Working Papers
07/48, International Monetary Fund.
- Marco Arena & Carmen Reinhart & Francisco Vázquez, 2006. "The Lending Channel in Emerging Economics: Are Foreign Banks Different?," NBER Working Papers 12340, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Balázs Égert & Ronald MacDonald, 2008.
"Monetary Transmission Mechanism in Central and Eastern Europe: Surveying the Surveyable,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
654, OECD Publishing.
- Balázs �gert & Ronald MacDonald, 2009. "Monetary Transmission Mechanism In Central And Eastern Europe: Surveying The Surveyable," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(2), pages 277-327, 04.
- Karas, Alexei & Schoors , Koen & Weill, Laurent, 2008.
"Are private banks more efficient than public banks? Evidence from Russia,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
3/2008, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Alexei Karas & Koen Schoors & Laurent Weill, 2008. "Are private banks more efficient than public banks ? Evidence from Russia," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2008-15, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
- A. Karas & K. Schoors & L. Weill, 2008. "Are private banks more efficient than public banks? Evidence from Russia," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 08/519, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Matousek, Roman & Sarantis, Nicholas, 2009. "The bank lending channel and monetary transmission in Central and Eastern European countries," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 321-334, June.
- Kishan, Ruby P. & Opiela, Timothy P., 2006. "Bank capital and loan asymmetry in the transmission of monetary policy," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 259-285, January.
- Kishan, Ruby P & Opiela, Timothy P, 2000. "Bank Size, Bank Capital, and the Bank Lending Channel," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(1), pages 121-41, February.
- Gambacorta, Leonardo, 2005. "Inside the bank lending channel," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(7), pages 1737-1759, October.
- Konstantins Benkovskis, 2008. "Is there a Bank Lending Channel of Monetary Policy in Latvia? Evidence from Bank Level Data," Working Papers 2008/01, Latvijas Banka.
- Vdovichenko, Anna G. & Voronina, Victoria G., 2006. "Monetary policy rules and their application in Russia," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 145-162, June.
- Korhonen, Iikka & Mehrotra, Aaron, 2007. "Money demand in post-crisis Russia: De-dollarisation and re-monetisation," BOFIT Discussion Papers 14/2007, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Golodniuk, Inna, 2006. "Evidence on the bank-lending channel in Ukraine," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 180-199, June.
- A. Karas & K. Schoors, 2005. "Heracles or Sisyphus? Finding, cleaning and reconstructing a database of Russian banks," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 05/327, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:bofitp:2009_008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Päivi Määttä)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.