Global and local sources of risk in Eastern European emerging stock markets
We study a pricing model for global and local sources of risk in six Eastern European emerging stock markets. Utilizing GMM estimation and an unconditional asset-pricing framework with and without time-varying betas, we perform estimations based on monthly data from 1996 to 2007 for Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Bulgaria, Slovenia and Russia. Most of these markets display considerable segmentation; the aggregate emerging market risk, as opposed to global market risk, is the significant driver for their stock market returns. It also appears that currency risk is priced into stock prices. The difference between local and global interest rates can be used to model the time-variation in the betas for both sources of risk.
|Date of creation:||15 Dec 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Fedorova, E. and Vaihekoski, M.: Global and Local Sources of Risk in Eastern European Emerging Stock Markets Published in: Finance a úvér – Czech Journal of Economics and Finance, 2009, vol. 59, no. 1, 2-19. http://journal.fsv.cuni.cz/mag/article/show/id/1149|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 358 10 831 2268
Fax: + 358 10 831 2294
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/bofit_en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Errunza, Vihang & Losq, Etienne, 1985. " International Asset Pricing under Mild Segmentation: Theory and Test," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(1), pages 105-24, March.
- Doukas, John & Hall, Patricia H. & Lang, Larry H. P., 1999. "The pricing of currency risk in Japan," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 1-20, January.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1991. "The Pricing of Exchange Rate Risk in the Stock Market," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(03), pages 363-376, September.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R, 1995.
" Time-Varying World Market Integration,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 50(2), pages 403-44, June.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1990. "The Exchange-Rate Exposure of U.S. Multinationals," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(3), pages 331-45, July.
- Wayne E. Ferson & Campbell R. Harvey, 1996.
"Fundamental Determinants of National Equity Market Returns: A Perspective on Conditional Asset Pricing,"
NBER Working Papers
5860, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ferson, Wayne E. & Harvey, Campbell R., 1997. "Fundamental determinants of national equity market returns: A perspective on conditional asset pricing," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(11-12), pages 1625-1665, December.
- Saleem, Kashif & Vaihekoski, Mika, 2008. "Pricing of global and local sources of risk in Russian stock market," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 40-56, March.
- de Jong, Frank & de Roon, Frans, 2001.
"Time-Varying Market Integration and Expected Returns in Emerging Markets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3102, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- de Jong, Frank & de Roon, Frans A., 2005. "Time-varying market integration and expected returns in emerging markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(3), pages 583-613, December.
- de Jong, F.C.J.M. & de Roon, F.A., 2001. "Time Varying Market Integration and Expected Rteurns in Emerging Markets," Discussion Paper 2001-78, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Antell, Jan & Vaihekoski, Mika, 2007. "International asset pricing models and currency risk: Evidence from Finland 1970-2004," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 2571-2590, September.
- De Santis, Giorgio & Gerard, Bruno, 1998. "How big is the premium for currency risk?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 375-412, September.
- King, Michael R. & Segal, Dan, 2008. "Market segmentation and equity valuation: Comparing Canada and the United States," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 245-258, July.
- Korajczyk, Robert A, 1996.
"A Measure of Stock Market Integration for Developed and Emerging Markets,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 10(2), pages 267-89, May.
- Korajczyk, Robert A., 1995. "A measure of stock market integration for developed and emerging markets," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1482, The World Bank.
- Hunter, Delroy M., 2006. "The evolution of stock market integration in the post-liberalization period - A look at Latin America," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 795-826, August.
- De Santis, Giorgio & imrohoroglu, Selahattin, 1997.
"Stock returns and volatility in emerging financial markets,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 561-579, August.
- Giorgio De Santis & Selahattin Imrohoroglu, 1994. "Stock returns and volatility in emerging financial markets," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 93, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Marco Del Negro & Robin Brooks, 2002.
"International Stock Returns and Market Integration; A Regional Perspective,"
IMF Working Papers
02/202, International Monetary Fund.
- Robin Brooks & Marco Del Negro, 2003. "International stock returns and market integration: A regional perspective," Working Paper 2002-20, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:bofitp:2008_027. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Päivi Määttä)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.