The CIS – does the regional hegemon facilitate monetary integration?
We consider the likely economic impact and prospects for monetary integration among Belarus, Kazakhstan, the Russian Federation and Ukraine as part of the Single Economic Space they have agreed to set up. A monetary union among these countries poses three interesting issues for the structure and process of integration: they have already been members of a wider currency union that collapsed, so it is necessary to handle the problems of history; secondly the union would be of very unequal size with the Russian Federation outweighing the others taken together, so we must consider how the national interests would be balanced; lastly natural resources, particularly oil and gas pose problems for dependence and for the determination of the external exchange rate.
|Date of creation:||24 Jul 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 358 10 831 2268
Fax: + 358 10 831 2294
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/bofit_en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sebastian Edwards, 2006.
"Monetary unions, external shocks and economic performance: A Latin American perspective,"
International Economics and Economic Policy,
Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 225-247, December.
- Sebastian Edwards, 2006. "Monetary Unions, External Shocks and Economic Performance: A Latin American Perspective," NBER Working Papers 12229, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sebastian Edwards, 2006. "Monetary Unions, External Shocks and Economic Performance: A Latin American Perspective," Working Papers 43, Bank of Greece.
- Crowley , Patrick & Maraun , Douglas & Mayes , David, 2006. "How hard is the euro are core? An evaluation of growth cycles using wavelet analysis," Research Discussion Papers 18/2006, Bank of Finland.
- Kristina Kittelmann & Marcel Tirpak & Rainer Schweickert & L�cio Vinhas De Souza, 2006.
"From Transition Crises to Macroeconomic Stability? Lessons from a Crises Early Warning System for Eastern European and CIS Countries,"
Comparative Economic Studies,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(3), pages 410-434, September.
- Kristina Kittelmann & Marcel Tirpak & Rainer Schweickert & Lúcio Vinhas de Souza, 2006. "From Transition Crises to Macroeconomic Stability? Lessons from a Crises Early Warning System for Eastern European and CIS Countries," Kiel Working Papers 1269, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Vladimir Chaplygin & Andrew Hughes Hallett & Christian Richter, 2006. "Monetary integration in the ex-Soviet Union: A 'union of four'? ," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 14(1), pages 47-68, 03.
- De Grauwe, Paul & Mongelli, Francesco Paolo, 2005.
"Endogeneities of optimum currency areas: what brings countries sharing a single currency closer together?,"
Working Paper Series
0468, European Central Bank.
- Paul de Grauwe & Francesco Paolo Mongelli, 2005. "Endogeneities of Optimum Currency Areas: What brings Countries Sharing a Single Currency Closer together?," Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers) 29, Departamento de Economia, Gestão e Engenharia Industrial, Universidade de Aveiro.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:bofitp:2007_016. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Päivi Määttä)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.