The Chinese government's new approach to ownership and financial control of strategic state-owned enterprises
This paper reviews recent regulatory and policy changes that affect the Chinese central government's ownership and authority over the capital allocations of strategic state-owned enterprises (SOE). The paper examines the reform of the central government's relationship with key SOEs as a consequence of the establishment of the State Assets Supervision and Administration Commission of the State Council (SASAC) in 2003, the coming introduction of a centralised operating and budgeting system for SOEs, and the government's ongoing re-evaluation of its ownership policy. SASAC appears to have the potential to develop into a major actor in China's domestic capital allocation, with an active role in strategic financing and restructuring of key sectors of the Chinese economy. The data reviewed for this paper strongly suggests that the Chinese central government aims to retain significant ownership control over key SOEs and, by extension, over a major part of the domestic economy. The new operating and budgeting system is set to significantly enhance central government control over SOEs' capital allocation.
|Date of creation:||04 May 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bank of Finland, BOFIT, P.O. Box 160, FI-00101 Helsinki, Finland|
Phone: + 358 10 831 2268
Fax: + 358 10 831 2294
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/bofit_en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1994. "Politicians and Firms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 109(4), pages 995-1025.
- Chongwoo Choe & Xiangkang Yin, 1998.
"Contract Management Responsibility System and Profit Incentives in China's State-Owned Enterprises,"
1998.06, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Choe, Chongwoo & Yin, Xiangkang, 2000. "Contract management responsibility system and profit incentives in China's state-owned enterprises," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 98-112.
- Chongwoo Choe & Xiangkang Yin, 1998. "Contract Management Responsibility System and Profit Incentives in China's State-Owned Enterprises," Working Papers 1998.06, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Ang, James S. & Ding, David K., 2006. "Government ownership and the performance of government-linked companies: The case of Singapore," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 64-88, February.
- Imai, Ken'ichi, 2006. "Explaining the Persistence of State-ownership in China," IDE Discussion Papers 64, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Xu, Dean & Pan, Yigang & Wu, Changqi & Yim, Bennett, 2006. "Performance of domestic and foreign-invested enterprises in China," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 261-274, September.
- Chong-En Bai & Chang-Tai Hsieh & Yingyi Qian, 2006.
"The Return to Capital in China,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 37(2), pages 61-102.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:bofitp:2007_010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Päivi Määttä)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.