Russia's banking sector transition: Where to?
This paper applies an analytical paradigm of institutional economics to the transition of the Russian banking sector, focusing on the interplay between ownership change and institutional change. We find that the state’s withdrawal from commercial banking has been inconsistent and limited in scope. To this day, core banks have yet to be privatized and the state has made a comeback as owner of the dominant market participants. We also look at the new institutions imported into Russia to regulate banking and finance, including rule of law, competition, deposit insurance, bankruptcy, and corporate governance. The unfortunate combination of this new institutional overlay and traditional local norms of behavior have brought Russia to an impasse – the banking sector’s ownership structure hinders further advancement of market institutions. Indeed, we may now be witnessing is a retreat from the original market.
|Date of creation:||07 Mar 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 358 10 831 2268
Fax: + 358 10 831 2294
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/bofit_en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laurent Weill, 2003. "Banking efficiency in transition economies," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 11(3), pages 569-592, 09.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2004.
"Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transitition countries,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
7/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2005. "Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transition countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 31-53, January.
- Polterovich, Victor, 2001.
"Трансплантация Экономических Институтов
[Transplantation of Economic Institutions]," MPRA Paper 22034, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Drakos, Kostas, 2003. "Assessing the success of reform in transition banking 10 years later: an interest margins analysis," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 309-317, April.
- Greif, Avner, 1994. "Cultural Beliefs and the Organization of Society: A Historical and Theoretical Reflection on Collectivist and Individualist Societies," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(5), pages 912-50, October.
- Tuuli Koivu, 2002. "Do efficient banking sectors accelerate economic growth in transition countries?," Macroeconomics 0212013, EconWPA.
- A. Yakovlev., 2003. "Demand for Law in the Sphere of Corporate Governance: Evolution of Economic Actors' Strategies," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 4.
- David A Grigorian & Vlad Manole, 2006.
"Determinants of Commercial Bank Performance in Transition: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis,"
Comparative Economic Studies,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(3), pages 497-522, September.
- David A. Grigorian & Vlad Manole, 2002. "Determinants of Commercial Bank Performance in Transition: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis," IMF Working Papers 02/146, International Monetary Fund.
- Grigorian, David A. & Manole, Vlad, 2002. "Determinants of commercial bank performance in transition - an application of data envelopment analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2850, The World Bank.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Marton, Katherin, 2000.
"Development and Efficiency of the Banking Sector in a Transitional Economy: Hungarian Experience,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
7/2000, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Marton, Katherin, 2003. "Development and efficiency of the banking sector in a transitional economy: Hungarian experience," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(12), pages 2249-2271, December.
- Koivu, Tuuli, 2002. "Do efficient banking sectors accelerate economic growth in transition countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers 14/2002, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- repec:ebd:wpaper:86 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:bofitp:2007_005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Päivi Määttä)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.