Dealing with financial fragility in transition economies
We examine the efforts of transition economies to deal with financial fragility and resolve banking cries We characterize the birthing process of banking in transition and the three essential features of banking crises in transition economies: (i) bad loans and the relationship to state owned industries, (ii) development of institutional infrastructure and (iii) credible commitments to resolution and privatization. We then discuss the experiences of seven important transition countries in order to identify the salient features of their efforts to resolve banking crises.
|Date of creation:||30 Dec 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bank of Finland, BOFIT, P.O. Box 160, FI-00101 Helsinki, Finland|
Phone: + 358 10 831 2268
Fax: + 358 10 831 2294
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/bofit_en/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John P. Bonin & Yiping Huang, 2001.
"Dealing with the Bad Loans of the Chinese Banks,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
357, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Claudia M. Buch & Ralph P. Heinrich, 1999. "Handling Banking Crises ; The Case of Russia," Kiel Working Papers 920, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Bonin, John P., 2004. "Banking in the Balkans: the structure of banking sectors in Southeast Europe," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 141-153, June.
- John Bonin & Bozena Leven, 2001. "Can State-owned Banks Promote Enterprise Restructuring? Evidence from One Polish Bank's Experience," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(4), pages 431-443.
- Edda Zoli, 2001. "Cost and Effectiveness of Banking Sector Restructuring in Transition Economies," IMF Working Papers 01/157, International Monetary Fund.
- International Monetary Fund, 2002. "Banking Crises and Bank Resolution: Experiences in Some Transition Economies," IMF Working Papers 02/56, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:bofitp:2004_022. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Päivi Määttä)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.