Trade specialisation patterns: The case of Russia
This paper considers trade specialisation in Russia, examining changes in trade patterns at the sectoral level over the transition period. Trade based on inter-industry specialisation and intra-industry trade (IIT) are empirically distinguished using the Aquino and Grubel-Lloyd indices. The Aquino index is applied to measure the degree of inter-industry specialisation by sector, while the Grubel-Lloyd index is used to establish the level of IIT between industries. The empirical results support recent trade theory, which predicts an increasing level of intra-industry trade with liberalisation processes. They also suggest how inter- and intra-industry trade coexist. The final econometric estimation of the factor content of Russia’s exports (specialisation in resource-intensive products) supports the index analysis.
|Date of creation:||31 Dec 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bank of Finland, BOFIT, P.O. Box 160, FI-00101 Helsinki, Finland|
Phone: + 358 10 831 2268
Fax: + 358 10 831 2294
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/bofit_en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Algieri, Bernardina & Ankkuriniemi, Salla & Zampieri, Laura, 2001. "Inter-Industry Specialisation versus Intra- Industry Trade: a Regional Approach," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 54(3), pages 299-324.
- Marius Brülhart & Robert Elliott, 2002. "Labour-market effects of intra-industry trade: Evidence for the United Kingdom," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(2), pages 207-228, June.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Daniela Grozea-Helmenstein & Andreas Wörgötter, 1999. "East-west intra-industry trade dynamics," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(2), pages 332-346, June.
- Flam, Harry & Helpman, Elhanan, 1987. "Industrial policy under monopolistic competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1-2), pages 79-102, February.
- Lionel Fontagné & Michaël Freudenberg, 1997. "Intra-Industry Trade: Methodological Issues Reconsidered," Working Papers 1997-01, CEPII research center.
- Aturupane, Chonira & Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1997.
"Determinants of intra-industry trade between East and West Europe,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1850, The World Bank.
- Aturupane, Chonira & Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1997. "Determinants of Intra-Industry Trade between East and West Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 1721, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Amiti, Mary, 1998. "New Trade Theories and Industrial Location in the EU: A Survey of Evidence," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 45-53, Summer.
- Carmela Martin & Jose V. Blanes, 1999.
"The Nature and Causes of Intra-Industry Trade: Back to the Comparative Advantage Explanation? The Case of Spain,"
European Economy Group Working Papers
1, European Economy Group.
- José Blanes & Carmela Martín, 2000. "The nature and causes of intra-industry trade: Back to the comparative advantage explanation? The case of Spain," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 136(3), pages 423-441, 09.
- Chonira Aturupane & Simeon Djankov & Bernard Hoekman, 1999. "Horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade between Eastern Europe and the European union," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 62-81, March.
- G. Ariovich, 1979. "The Comparative Advantage of South Africa as Revealed by Export Shares," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 47(2), pages 123-129, 06.
- Marius Brülhart, 1998. "Economic Geography, Industry Location and Trade: The Evidence," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(6), pages 775-801, 08.
- Juergen Donges & James Riedel, 1977.
"The expansion of manufactured exports in developing countries: An empirical assessment of s upply and demand issues,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 113(1), pages 58-87, March.
- Donges, Juergen B. & Riedel, James, 1976. "The expansion of manufactured exports in developing countries: An empirical assessment of supply and demand issues," Kiel Working Papers 49, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Greenaway, David & Hine, Robert C., 1990.
"Intra Industry Specialisation, Trade Expansion and Adjustment in the European Economic Space,"
Working Paper Series
281, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- David Greenaway & Robert C. Hine, 1991. "Intra-Industry Specialization, Trade Expansion and Adjustment in the European Economic Space," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(6), pages 603-622, December.
- Carmen Mora, 2002. "The role of comparative advantage in trade within industries: A panel data approach for the European Union," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(2), pages 291-316, June.
- Greenaway, David & Hine, Robert C & Milner, Chris, 1995. "Vertical and Horizontal Intra-industry Trade: A Cross Industry Analysis for the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(433), pages 1505-18, November.
- David Greenaway & Robert Hine & Chris Milner, 1994. "Country-specific factors and the pattern of horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade in the UK," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(1), pages 77-100, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:bofitp:2004_019. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Päivi Määttä)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.