Trade and Revealed Comparative Advantage: Hungary, the Czech Republic, and the European Union
This study analyses the trade of Hungary and the Czech Republic with the European Union in 1997. After a general introduction, the focus turns to the extent of intra-industry trade (IIT) and its horizontal and vertical components. The extent of IIT is also analysed in light of the flows of foreign direct investment (FDI) from the European Union to Hungary and the Czech Republic. This is followed by an analysis of revealed comparative advantage (RCA) in trade between the EU and the two Central European countries. The CN4-digit trade data is divided into two groups according to whether a country enjoys a revealed comparative advantage in a given market area or not. Statistical tests are performed to determine the extent to which the RCA structures of each pair of countries are dependent. The analysis also takes into account the volumes of trade flows.
|Date of creation:||14 Sep 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 358 10 831 2268
Fax: + 358 10 831 2294
Web page: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/bofit_en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chonira Aturupane & Simeon Djankov & Bernard Hoekman, 1999. "Horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade between Eastern Europe and the European union," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 62-81, March.
- David Greenaway & Robert Hine & Chris Milner, 1994. "Country-specific factors and the pattern of horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade in the UK," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(1), pages 77-100, March.
- Pietro Garibaldi & Nada Mora & Ratna Sahay & Jeromin Zettelmeyer, 2001.
"What Moves Capital to Transition Economies?,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(4), pages 6.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Daniela Grozea-Helmenstein & Andreas Wörgötter, 1999. "East-west intra-industry trade dynamics," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(2), pages 332-346, June.
- Kaitila, Ville & WidgrÉn, Mika, 1999. "Revealed Comparative Advantage in Trade between the European Union and the Baltic States," Discussion Papers 697, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Grubel, Herbert G & Lloyd, P J, 1971. "The Empirical Measurement of Intra- Industry Trade," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 47(120), pages 494-517, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:bofitp:1999_008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Päivi Määttä)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.