Dynamic optimal execution in a mixed-market-impact Hawkes price model
We study a linear price impact model including other liquidity takers, whose flow of orders either follows a Poisson or a Hawkes process. The optimal execution problem is solved explicitly in this context, and the closed-formula optimal strategy describes in particular how one should react to the orders of other traders. This result enables us to discuss the viability of the market. It is shown that Poissonian arrivals of orders lead to quite robust Price Manipulation Strategies in the sense of Huberman and Stanzl. Instead, a particular set of conditions on the Hawkes model balances the self-excitation of the order flow with the resilience of the price, excludes Price Manipulation Strategies and gives some market stability.
|Date of creation:||02 Apr 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal-enpc.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00971369v2|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erhan Bayraktar & Mike Ludkovski, 2009. "Optimal Trade Execution in Illiquid Markets," Papers 0902.2516, arXiv.org.
- Weibing Huang & Charles-Albert Lehalle & Mathieu Rosenbaum, 2015.
"Simulating and Analyzing Order Book Data: The Queue-Reactive Model,"
Journal of the American Statistical Association,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 110(509), pages 107-122, March.
- Weibing Huang & Charles-Albert Lehalle & Mathieu Rosenbaum, 2013. "Simulating and analyzing order book data: The queue-reactive model," Papers 1312.0563, arXiv.org, revised Sep 2014.
- Frédéric Abergel & Aymen Jedidi, 2013. "A Mathematical Approach To Order Book Modeling," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 16(05), pages 1350025-1-1.
- Rama Cont & Adrien De Larrard, 2013. "Price Dynamics in a Markovian Limit Order Market," Post-Print hal-00552252, HAL.
- Bertsimas, Dimitris & Lo, Andrew W., 1998. "Optimal control of execution costs," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 1-50, April.
- Aur\'elien Alfonsi & Antje Fruth & Alexander Schied, 2007. "Optimal execution strategies in limit order books with general shape functions," Papers 0708.1756, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2010.
- Frederic Abergel & Aymen Jedidi, 2010. "A Mathematical Approach to Order Book Modeling," Papers 1010.5136, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2013.
- Aur\'elien Alfonsi & Alexander Schied, 2012. "Capacitary measures for completely monotone kernels via singular control," Papers 1201.2756, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2013.
- Thibault Jaisson & Mathieu Rosenbaum, 2013. "Limit theorems for nearly unstable Hawkes processes," Papers 1310.2033, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2015.
- E. Bacry & S. Delattre & M. Hoffmann & J. F. Muzy, 2011.
"Modeling microstructure noise with mutually exciting point processes,"
- E. Bacry & S. Delattre & M. Hoffmann & J. F. Muzy, 2013. "Modelling microstructure noise with mutually exciting point processes," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 65-77, January.
- Jonathan Donier, 2012. "Market Impact with Autocorrelated Order Flow under Perfect Competition," Papers 1212.4770, arXiv.org.
- A. Gareche & G. Disdier & J. Kockelkoren & J. -P. Bouchaud, 2013. "A Fokker-Planck description for the queue dynamics of large tick stocks," Papers 1304.6819, arXiv.org.
- Aurélien Alfonsi & Alexander Schied, 2013. "Capacitary measures for completely monotone kernels via singular control," Post-Print hal-00659421, HAL.
- Jim Gatheral, 2010. "No-dynamic-arbitrage and market impact," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(7), pages 749-759.
- Aurelien Alfonsi & Antje Fruth & Alexander Schied, 2010. "Optimal execution strategies in limit order books with general shape functions," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 143-157.
- Gur Huberman & Werner Stanzl, 2004. "Price Manipulation and Quasi-Arbitrage," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(4), pages 1247-1275, 07.
- Bacry, E. & Delattre, S. & Hoffmann, M. & Muzy, J.F., 2013. "Some limit theorems for Hawkes processes and application to financial statistics," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 123(7), pages 2475-2499.
- Aurélien Alfonsi & Alexander Schied, 2010. "Optimal trade execution and absence of price manipulations in limit order book models," Post-Print hal-00397652, HAL.
- Stephen Hardiman & Nicolas Bercot & Jean-Philippe Bouchaud, 2013. "Critical reflexivity in financial markets: a Hawkes process analysis," The European Physical Journal B: Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer;EDP Sciences, vol. 86(10), pages 1-9, October.
- Obizhaeva, Anna A. & Wang, Jiang, 2013.
"Optimal trading strategy and supply/demand dynamics,"
Journal of Financial Markets,
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 1-32.
- Anna Obizhaeva & Jiang Wang, 2005. "Optimal Trading Strategy and Supply/Demand Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 11444, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jean-Philippe Bouchaud & Yuval Gefen & Marc Potters & Matthieu Wyart, 2004. "Fluctuations and response in financial markets: the subtle nature of 'random' price changes," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(2), pages 176-190.
- Christian Y. Robert & Mathieu Rosenbaum, 2011. "A New Approach for the Dynamics of Ultra-High-Frequency Data: The Model with Uncertainty Zones," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 9(2), pages 344-366, Spring.
- Stephen J. Hardiman & Nicolas Bercot & Jean-Philippe Bouchaud, 2013. "Critical reflexivity in financial markets: a Hawkes process analysis," Papers 1302.1405, arXiv.org, revised Jun 2013.
- Zoltán Eisler & Jean-Philippe Bouchaud & Julien Kockelkoren, 2012. "The price impact of order book events: market orders, limit orders and cancellations," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(9), pages 1395-1419, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00971369. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.