Frequency of trade and the determinacy of equilibrium in economies of overlapping generations
Demichelis and Polemarchalis highlighted the role played by the frequency of trade in the degree of indeterminacy of equilibrium in economies of overlapping generations. Assuming that time has a finite starting point and extends into the infinite future, they prove that the degree of indeterminacy increases with the number of periods in the life-span of individuals, which is assumed to be deterministic. We show that this result does not hold when individual longevity is represented by an exponential survival function: the degree of indeterminacy depends on individual preferences and monetary policy but is independent of the frequency of trade.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Publication status:||Published in International Journal of Economic Theory, Wiley, 2013, 9 (1), pp.85-100. 〈10.1111/j.1742-7363.2013.12005.x〉|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00759208|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hippolyte d'Albis & Emmanuelle Augeraud-véron, 2009.
"Competitive Growth In A Life-Cycle Model: Existence And Dynamics,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 50(2), pages 459-484, May.
- Hippolyte d'Albis & Emmanuelle Augeraud-Veron, 2004. "Competitive growth in a life-cycle model : existence and dynamics," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques v04016, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Hippolyte D'Albis & Emmanuelle Augeraud-Véron, 2009. "Competitive Growth in a Life-cycle Model: Existence and Dynamics," Post-Print hal-00630459, HAL.
- D'ALBIS Hippolyte & AUGERAUD-VERON Emmannuelle, 2007. "Competitive Growth in a Life-cycle Model: Existence and Dynamics," LERNA Working Papers 07.19.240, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Farmer, Roger E.A. & Nourry, Carine & Venditti, Alain, 2011.
"Debt, deficits and finite horizons: The stochastic case,"
Elsevier, vol. 111(1), pages 47-49, April.
- Roger E.A. Farmer & Carine Nourry & Alain Venditti, 2009. "Debt, deficits and finite horizons: the stochastic case," Working Papers halshs-00439336, HAL.
- Roger Farmer & Carine Nourry & Alain Venditti, 2009. "Debt, Deficits and Finite Horizons: The Stochastic Case," NBER Working Papers 15025, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hippolyte d’Albis & Emmanuelle Augeraud-Véron, 2007.
"Balanced cycles in an OLG model with a continuum of finitely-lived individuals,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 30(1), pages 181-186, January.
- Hippolyte D'Albis & Emmanuelle Augeraud-Véron, 2007. "Balanced cycles in an OLG model with a continuum of finitely-lived individuals," Post-Print hal-00630229, HAL.
- Augeraud-Véron, Emmanuelle & D'Albis, Hippolyte, 2009. "Continuous-Time Overlapping Generations Models," TSE Working Papers 09-047, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Gale, David, 1973. "Pure exchange equilibrium of dynamic economic models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 12-36, February.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467-467.
- Polemarchakis, H. M., 1988. "Portfolio choice, exchange rates, and indeterminacy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 414-421, December.
- Théophile T. Azomahou & Raouf Boucekkine & Bity Diene, 2009.
"A closer look at the relationship between life expectancy and economic growth,"
International Journal of Economic Theory,
The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 5(2), pages 201-244.
- AZOMAHOU, Théophile T. & BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & DIENE, Bity, "undated". "A closer look at the relationship between life expectancy and economic growth," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2115, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Raouf, BOUCEKKINE & Bity, DIENE & Théophile, AZOMAHOU, 2007. "A closer look at the relationship between life expectancy and economic growth," Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) 2007043, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Bity Diene & Theophile Azomahou, 2007. "A closer look at the relationship between life expectancy and economic growth," Working Papers 2007_24, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Azomahou, Théophile & Boucekkine, Raouf & Diene, Bity, 2008. "A Closer Look at the Relationship Between Life Expectancy and Economic Growth," MERIT Working Papers 027, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Raouf Boucekkine, 2009. "Overlapping-Generations Models," Mathematical Population Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1), pages 1-1.
- Blanchard, Olivier J, 1985. "Debt, Deficits, and Finite Horizons," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(2), pages 223-247, April.
- Kehoe, Timothy J. & Levine, David K., 1984. "Intertemporal separability in overlapping-generations models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 216-226, December.
- D. K. Levine & T. J. Kehoe, 1982. "Intertemporal Separability in Overlapping Generations Models," Working papers 315, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & David K. Levine, 1984. "Intertemporal Separability in Overlapping Generations Models," Levine's Working Paper Archive 108, David K. Levine.
- S. Demichelis & H. Polemarchakis, 2007. "The determinacy of equilibrium in economies of overlapping generations," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 32(3), pages 461-475, September.
- Kehoe, Timothy J. & Levine, David K. & Mas-Colell, Andreu & Woodford, Michael, 1991. "Gross substitutability in large-square economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 1-25, June.
- Buiter, Willem H, 1988. "Death, Birth, Productivity Growth and Debt Neutrality," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(391), pages 279-293, June.
- Tomoyuki Nakajima & Herakles Polemarchakis, 2005. "Money and Prices Under Uncertainty," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(1), pages 223-246.
- Weil, Philippe, 1989. "Overlapping families of infinitely-lived agents," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 183-198, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:pseose:hal-00759208. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.