At stake with implementation: trials of explicitness in the description of the state
We develop the notion of "trials of explicitness" as a conceptual instrument for the study of the state from a pragmatist, sociological angle. We present results from an empirical case study on how state practitioners (i.e. actors in charge of expressing, evaluating, executing or reforming the action of the state) confront the problem of the clarification of the agency of the state. We focus on the implementation, from the early 2000s onwards, of a reform of public management in France which called for a revision of the description of the perimeters and achievements of the action of the state. The reform targeted the rules governing the budgetary process and included, along with new accounting methods, new forms of reporting and assessment aiming at identifying the performance of governmental and administrative action. We consider the implementation process as a set of trials of explicitness in which a number of state practitioners struggled to elucidate the meaning of the reform and to flesh out its orientation. We analyze, using archival material, a number of such trials in the domain of national science and research policy.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Publication status:||Published in CSI WORKING PAPERS SERIES 015. 2009|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00362285|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Emiliano Grossman & Emilio Luque & Fabian Muniesa, 2006.
"Economies through transparency,"
CSI Working Papers Series
003, Centre de Sociologie de l'Innovation (CSI), Mines ParisTech.
- Emiliano Grossman & Fabian Muniesa & Emilio Luque, 2006. "Economies through transparency," Post-Print halshs-00087886, HAL.
- Emiliano Grossman & Emilio Luque & Fabian Muniesa, 2008. "Economies through transparency," Post-Print halshs-00322141, HAL.
- Godin, Benoit, 2007. "Science, accounting and statistics: The input-output framework," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 1388-1403, November.
- Fabian Muniesa, 2007. "Market technologies and the pragmatics of prices," Post-Print halshs-00160893, HAL.
- Godin, Benoit, 2004. "The obsession for competitiveness and its impact on statistics: the construction of high-technology indicators," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1217-1229, October.
- Christopher Hood, 2007. "Public Service Management by Numbers: Why Does it Vary? Where Has it Come From? What Are the Gaps and the Puzzles?," Public Money & Management, Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy, vol. 27(2), pages 95-102, 04.
- Fabian Muniesa & Yuval Millo & Michel Callon, 2007. "An introduction to market devices," Post-Print halshs-00177928, HAL. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00362285. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.