Applying the Capability Approach to the French Education System: An Assessment of the "Pourquoi pas moi ?" Programme
This paper attempts to re-examine the notion of equality, going beyond the classic opposition in France between affirmative action and meritocratic equality. Hence, we propose shifting the French debate about equality of opportunities in education to the question of how to raise equality of capability. In this paper we propose an assessment based on the capability approach of a mentoring programme called 'Une grande école: pourquoi pas moi?' ('A top-level university: why not me?' (PQPM) launched in 2002 by a top French business school. The assessment of PQPM is based on the pairing of longitudinal data available for 324 PQPM students with national data. Results show that the 'adaptive preferences' of the PQPM students change through a process of empowerment. Students adopt new 'elitist' curricula but feel free to follow alternative paths.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal-essec.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00880246|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sabina Alkire, 2005. "Why the Capability Approach?," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 115-135.
- Sabina Alkire, 2005. "Subjective Quantitative Studies of Human Agency," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 74(1), pages 217-260, October.
- Rosie Peppin Vaughan & Melanie Walker, 2012. "Capabilities, Values and Education Policy," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 495-512, August.
- Paul Anand & Graham Hunter & Ian Carter & Keith Dowding & Francesco Guala & Martin Van Hees, 2009. "The Development of Capability Indicators," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 125-152.
- Alkire, Sabina, 2002.
"Valuing Freedoms: Sen's Capability Approach and Poverty Reduction,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199245796, March.
- Alkire, Sabina, 2005. "Valuing Freedoms: Sen's Capability Approach and Poverty Reduction," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199283316, March.
- Quinn McNemar, 1947. "Note on the sampling error of the difference between correlated proportions or percentages," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 153-157, June.
- Sakiko Fukuda-Parr, 2003. "The Human Development Paradigm: Operationalizing Sen'S Ideas On Capabilities," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2-3), pages 301-317.
- Tania Burchardt, 2009. "Agency Goals, Adaptation and Capability Sets," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 3-19.
- Jerome Ballet & Jean-Luc Dubois & FranCois-Regis Mahieu, 2007. "Responsibility for Each Other's Freedom: Agency as the Source of Collective Capability," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 185-201.
- Sen, Amartya, 1995. "Inequality Reexamined," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198289289, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:hal-00880246. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.