Assessing the relationship between Chinese capital flows and African debt sustainability
In a period where Western donors and economic powers are occupied with own domestic issues, China intensifies its economic ties with Africa. This paper sheds light on this engagement by evaluating the influence of financial capital flows from China on the debt sustainability and country risk of selected African countries. As such, sovereign bond ratings are estimated on several macroeconomic variables and included in a yield spread panel data framework in order to evaluate the external impact.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://dumas.ccsd.cnrs.fr/dumas-00903799|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baer, W & Margot, D & Montes-Rojas, G., 2010. "Argentina's default and the lack of dire consequences," Working Papers 10/09, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Jakob de Haan & XingWang Qian & Shu Yu, 2011.
"China's Outward Direct Investment in Africa,"
132011, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 1984. "LDC Foreign Borrowing and Default Risk: An Empirical Investigation, 1976-80," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(4), pages 726-34, September.
- Beck, Roland, 2001. "Do country fundamentals explain emerging market bond spreads?," CFS Working Paper Series 2001/02, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Canuto, Otaviano & Mohapatra, Sanket & Dilip Ratha, 2011.
"Shadow Sovereign Ratings,"
World Bank - Economic Premise,
The World Bank, issue 63, pages 1-6, August.
- G. Ferri & L.-G. Liu & J. E. Stiglitz, 1999. "The Procyclical Role of Rating Agencies: Evidence from the East Asian Crisis," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 28(3), pages 335-355, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:dumas-00903799. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.