Efficiency inducing taxation for polluting oligopolists: the irrelevance of privatization
This paper studies the optimal environmental policy in a mixed market when pollution accumulates over time. Specifically, we assume quantity competition between several private firms and one partially privatized firm. The optimal emission tax is shown to be independent of the weight the privatized firm puts on social welfare. The optimal tax rule, the accumulated stock of pollution, firms' production paths and profit streams are identical irrespective of the public firm's ownership status.
|Date of creation:||09 Nov 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published, Economics Bulletin, 2010, 2946-2954|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00675338|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:12:y:2006:i:5:p:1-6 is not listed on IDEAS
- CLAUDE, Denis & HINDRIKS, Jean, 2005.
"Strategic privatization and regulation policy in mixed markets,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2005015, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- J Hindriks & D Claude, 2006. "Strategic Privatization and Regulation Policy in Mixed Markets," The IUP Journal of Managerial Economics, IUP Publications, vol. 0(1), pages 7-26, February.
- Denis, CLAUDE & Jean, HINDRIKS, 2005. "Strategic Privatization and Regulation Policy in Mixed Markets," Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) 2005016, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Claude, Denis & Tidball, Mabel, 2006.
"Efficiency inducing taxation for polluting oligopolists: the irrelevance of privatization,"
776, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 Oct 2006.
- Denis Claude & Mabel Tidball, 2010. "Efficiency inducing taxation for polluting oligopolists: the irrelevance of privatization," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(4), pages 2946-2954.
- Denis Claude & Mabel Tidball, 2006. "Efficiency inducing taxation for polluting oligopolists: the irrelevance of privatization," Working Papers 06-06, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Jul 2006.
- White, Mark D., 1996. "Mixed oligopoly, privatization and subsidization," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 189-195, November.
- Hassan Benchekroun & Ngo Van Long, 1997.
"Efficiency Inducing Taxation for Polluting Oligopolists,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Benchekroun, Hassan & van Long, Ngo, 1998. "Efficiency inducing taxation for polluting oligopolists," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 325-342, November.
- Yoshihiro Tomaru, 2006. "Mixed Oligopoly, Partial Privatization and Subsidization," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 12(5), pages 1-6.
- Joanna Poyago-Theotoky, 2001. "Mixed oligopoly, subsidization and the order of firms' moves: an irrelevance result," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 12(3), pages 1-5.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:hal-00675338. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.