This paper analyses the consequences of young researchers' scientifc choice on the dynamics of sciences. We develop a simple two state mean field game model to analyze the competition between two paradigms based on Kuhn's theory of scientifc revolutions. At the beginning of their career, young researchers choose the paradigm in which they want to work according to social and personal motivations. Despite the possibility of multiple equilibria the model exhibits at least one stable solution in which both paradigms always coexist. The occurrence of shocks on the parameters may induce the shift from one dominant paradigm to the other. During this shift, researchers' choice is proved to have a great impact on the evolution of sciences.
|Date of creation:||03 May 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00590527v3|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yongsung Chang & Joao Gomes & Frank Schorfheide, 2000. "Persistence," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1632, Econometric Society.
- Bramoullé, Yann & Saint-Paul, Gilles, 2010.
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 145(5), pages 1890-1920, September.
- Bramoullé, Yann & Saint-Paul, Gilles, 2006. "Research Cycles," IDEI Working Papers 422, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Bramoullé, Yann & Saint-Paul, Gilles, 2007. "Research Cycles," CEPR Discussion Papers 6075, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yann Bramoullé & Gilles Saint-Paul, 2007. "Research Cycles," Cahiers de recherche 0704, CIRPEE.
- Joao Faria & Damien Besancenot & Andréas Novak, 2009. "Paradigm depletion, knowledge production and research effort," CEPN Working Papers halshs-00447302, HAL.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00447302 is not listed on IDEAS
- Paula E. Stephan, 1996. "The Economics of Science," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(3), pages 1199-1235, September.
- João Ricardo Faria & Damien Besancenot & Andreas J. Novak, 2011. "Paradigm Depletion, Knowledge Production And Research Effort: Considering Thomas Kuhn'S Ideas," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(4), pages 587-604, November.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00447302_v1 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cepnwp:halshs-00590527. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.